• This topic has 23 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by xyeti.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Hope Skewers for Road bike?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

Does anyone use them on there road bike?

I’m in need of a new set for new wheels. Thought I mite jazz it up and a different colour. Blue.

Andy-R

Salsa are better, in my opinion.

finbar
    Free Member

Shimano, Campagnolo, Fulcrum or anything with a closed cam only for me.

martymac

Superstar ones are about half the weight and almost half the price.
    Work fine, a little more subtle ime.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I use them. Blue too! It’s how I learnt that the hub’s were different widths; I googled to see why there was threaded skewer coming out of the non-cam side.

They hold the wheel in tightly and have never come loose. I think Salsa are over-rated. The sweet spot for the threaded side so the lever gets the right tension is tiny!

Not sure what blingy ones I’d recommend (like I said, my HOPE are great) but for non-bling Shimano every time.

rusty90
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use Hope skewers to barbecue a kebab, let alone hold my wheels on. (Yes, I’ve had some bad experiences with them!)

eddie11
    Free Member

Closed cam skewers only for me too. Hope make many good things but quick releases aren’t one of them

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hope skewars are utter garbage, and i have hope almost everything,

Hope skewars have come loose too many times for me so i binned them. THEy changed the design i tried them again. Still garbage.

My deore skewars work as well as my xtrs and ill buy them long before i go near blingy coloured ones.

jacob46
    Free Member

What does closed cam mean?

jacob46
    Free Member

Superstar where from?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I use them on my road bike.
    Had some spare ones kicking around from an old bike build.
    No issues at all with any of mine.
    Got an old ninety’s titanium one doing great service on the back of the hardtail at the moment!
    Max

benji
    Free Member

Use them on my road bike, but road bike is disc brakes with same hub dimensions as a mountain bike. Hope in blue looks great on it.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Hope Quick releases are great have them on all my bikes which don’t have bolt through been using them ever since they came out never had a problem with them and they look great brought some orange ones the other day look trick put them on a gravel bike.

otsdr
    Free Member

Hope skewers are up there with their grips in terms of “what were they thinking”.

KidCragg
    Free Member

I use them on my road and they’ve been faultless.

Look stealthy in black!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Skewers shall be Shimano. Or DT RWS.

That is all.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Closed ca, more properly called internal can, have the lever turn right angles through the end. The internal bit is can shaped, most cheap, or expensive, ones have an external can grinding on a cup shaped lump. You won’t improve much on the cheapest Shimano one made sort from finish maybe.
    Mr Campagnolo got it right decades ago.

ian martin
    Free Member

Have blue hope on my mountain and road bike, never have come loose, look nice but my pal bought some planet x ti ones that weigh a gnat’s fart, bit of a Tune rip off but much cheaper.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Skewers shall be Shimano. Or DT RWS.

That is all.

+1

wilburt
    Free Member

I have some nice Hope MTB skewers on a road bike, they worked fine on a MTB for 5 years and they’ve been fine on a road bike the last 2 years.

martymac

Superstar.com
    Ive used hopes for years, never had them come loose, have heard many people mention it tho.
    Tbh, decent shimano are at least as good as anything else out there.

cookeaa

What does closed cam mean?

These-

Instead of This-

Wouldn’t touch a Hope QR thanks, blingy and expensive but functionally inferior…

scotroutes

TBF, I’ve not seen so many bad reports on the newer version (as pictured above). The old “ball-ended” ones were atrocious.

xyeti
    Free Member

The ball ended ones were both kack and painfull, you had to do them up that tight you couldn’t get behind the lever to prise it off, I’ve got the ones as pictured above, never come loose in several thousand miles?

I’d like some Ringle ones though for that old skool look

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Hope Skewers for Road bike?’ is closed to new replies.