Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hope self-dismantling hub :-(
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I left my back wheel on one side in the back of someone's car today, and when I got home the cassette and freehub were hanging off, held on only by the skewer. Looking inside I found all the springs in place but 2 of the pawls missing 🙁 Not impressed! I know it often takes brutality to get the freehub off, but in fact the only retainer is an O ring on the axle…

thomthumb
    Free Member

always store/travel disc down for this very reason – I know smug hindsight is annoying! 😕

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

yeah, I shall in future – but I've been using Hope rear hubs for 8 years without this happening before!

AndyPaice
    Free Member

ring hope, they should sort you out with some pawls quickly. They're very good on customer support

el_boufador

Yep I've had this happen also

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

already bought a new set of pawls today to allow me to ride tomorrow, only to find that my finger, which I grazed, is now too stiff to bend so no ride 🙁

neil853
    Free Member

The point is though this shouldn't of happened in the first place? should freehubs just fall out? and this is common with hope hubs!

allthepies
    Free Member

Ghey!

trail_rat
    Free Member

The point is though this shouldn't of happened in the first place? should freehubs just fall out? and this is common with hope hubs!

no the point is that people shouldnt store their wheels with the free hub down ….

sorry but hope is head and shoulders above any other hub out there in terms of durability and availibility of spares …..if i have to live with silly people storing there wheels that way down then so be it – but it wont affect me as i always store my wheel with the free wheel facing up .

I have some early 90s ti and superlite hubs on my road bike – i can pick up the phone to hope and have spare axels/bearings/pawls here tomorrow if i wanted – i have issues getting parts for 5 year old DT hubs for customers due to them not being made anymore … Deal clincher when explaining why hope hubs cost more than shimano XT. Hubs for life

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Neil -Its a part of the design – you are intended to be able to dismantle the freehub without tools. when its in the bike its all held together by the drop-outs and QR

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you are intended to be able to dismantle the freehub without tools

…though as often attested on here sometimes you have to use 2 screwdrivers on the end cap to get it off!

trail_rat
    Free Member

only when people fit and forget …..

ive seen hubs where bearings have siezed and worn through the axel …..

sorry but how can you not notice your wheel rotates half a revolution after you stop pushing it with your hand !

balfa
    Free Member

If its an xc hub then its a sign that you have snapped the axel. The freehub comes off really easily then. I snapped a couple but then I was ridding trials. Never had a problem with the hub coming to bits otherwise. Speak to hope and they'll sort it out.

allthepies
    Free Member

I've had a ham-fisted mate pick my back wheel up by the cassette with the inevitable hub auto-disassembly. Perhaps someone did the same with yours.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If its an xc hub then its a sign that you have snapped the axel

I just tried swinging on the axle and there no play whatever 🙂

Perhaps someone did the same with yours.

no, only I touched it!

crazy-legs

It's the hubs way of telling you that after years of neglect and river crossings it might be time to service it! 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It's the hubs way of telling you that after years of neglect and river crossings it might be time to service it!

but oddly, there's no play whatever in any of the bearings 🙂 I have cleaned the muck out of the groove the O ring fits into… and as you must be aware that's about as much servicing as you can give a Hope hub until bearing replacement time 🙂

Jimbo
    Free Member

Hope rah rah rah never needs servicing rah rah rah ultra reliable rah rah rah…

Falls apart if laid down on the wrong side 😕

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Falls apart if laid down on the wrong side

well, quite 🙁 The O ring has the advantages of simplicity and compactness, but I could wish for something more secure…

racing_ralph
    Free Member

#
    simonfbarnes – Member

already bought a new set of pawls today to allow me to ride tomorrow, only to find that my finger, which I grazed, is now too stiff to bend so no ride
    Posted 17 hours ago # Report-Post

you **** puff!

crikey
    Free Member

I'm sorry, am I missing something here?

The freewheel falls off if you lay the wheel down the wrong way?

…and this is an example of wonderful design in what way?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you **** puff!

it's the only finger left on that hand that does bend properly due to a previous accident, so I'm paranoid about it!

neil853
    Free Member

crikey – no your not missing the point, its is riduculous 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

lol @sfb – persistent w**kers cramp struck you down? accident my eye!! 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

persistent w**kers cramp struck you down?

thanks for your concern over my sexual health 🙂

EdwardH

I had this happen in Canada last year and I managed to lose two of the pawls and couldn’t find any replacements – though I have a strong suspicion the only shop I could find wouldn’t own up to having any usable replacements so they could sell me a new wheel. Still, $60 Canadian for a deor hub and sun singletrack rim wasnt as bad as I was expecting, which lasted the rest of the holiday and is surviving the abuse of towing a trailer with two kids on a regular basis, which is something my hope hub fails at, as the stress of the trailer attached at the QR bends the axle 🙁

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hope self-dismantling hub :-(’ is closed to new replies.