Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hope R4 Vs Glow Worm X2
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

has anybody used both? more specifically the x2 1200 lumen version against the hope r4?

is there much difference in light throw/spread etc?

dantsw13

The Gloworm hasn’t had a bad review that I’ve seen – certainly more versatile as its smaller.

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve had both 🙂

Although I’ve got the 1500 v3 X2.

The Hope R4 doesnt have much throw at all, but is a very wide diffuse beam. The X2 has a very long throw, and can be made more diffuse with a flood optic swapped out for the throw optic.

The X2 is a better light, with better quality light being given out, and a lot brighter. The edges to the beam are more defined, so if that bothers you then the Hope may be a better light.

The mount for the R4 is better, as is the switching, as the X2 isn’t immediate switching – due to the programmable modes it actually isn’t as responsive as it should be.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I cant compare to the Hope but I have just bought the 1500 lumen gloworm x2 to run on my helmet alongside an exposure enduro (700 lumens) on the bars.
    The gloworm on its lowest setting is much brighter than the exposure on its highest setting. I have stopped bothering using the exposure when the gloworms on because unless you turn the gloworm off the exposures light is unnoticeable.

Andy

rickon
    Free Member

I’ll also add that you can’t run the R4 on full for any length of time, or it overheats due to the housing, so you run it at 2/3. which means it’s probably putting out 900’ish lumens.

The X1 is more comparable, but actually still brighter.

murf
    Free Member

I have a gloworm, would definitely recommend it. After sales support is brilliant. I lost the cable for mine and had a new one (free!) land on my mat within 20 hours of emailing the supplier!

rickon
    Free Member

{Edit}

I’ve got both an X1 and an X2, if you’re a subscriber to STW it works out at something like £215 for both, with batteries, charger and cases.

The X1 on about 3/4 power with the flood optic (it comes with three different optics) is similar to the R4 on full.

I’ve paired both of the X1 and the X2 up with two cell battery packs, as they’re very light and very small – so they fit in my pocket, and on the frame easily.

Both the X1 and the X2 I bought head straps for, and use them as head torches for walking in the hills at night with the dogs – the battery straps to the back, and would be ideal for night-time running also, due to the low weight.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

danny is great to deal with make no mistake his backup is as good if not better than hopes

i was considering a hope due to the button being on the unit and it just feeling like mentioned above when you press the button on x2 its a bit delayed, my x1 seems fine but the x2 does as above as yours rickon

ive had a few issues with my x2 but danny has always seen me right, my x1 has run perfectly from day one, i was considering giving the hope a go as an alternative but wanted something similar, but it seems like the x2 is actually better anyways so would be a step back

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Can’t offer any thoughts re the Hope, but…

i’ve been running the new X2 for a few weeks, not noticed any delay switching between modes, so the suggestion above this was limited to the first batch must be spot on

running it on my helmet, lowest setting is ample for most situations, and i have run it for a good 8 hours on this setting without running out of juice (the led indicator on the battery pack takes guesswork out of runtime)

I was dubious of the seperate button, but actually really like it, mines on the side of my helmet where it’s easily reached. I was also dubious about being able to configure with custom settings (i don’t like faff) – but it’s really simple to alter, so i think i’ll play around with brightness to suit my needs

impressed

neninja
    Free Member

The first batch of X2s were programmed with a 4 second press and hold to switch on to avoid them accidentally switching on in kit bags etc. This is the delay which rickon is referring to.

Gloworm responded to feedback and changed the next batch of lights to a simple press for on as some customers said they would prefer that.

OW – you have an X2 version 2 which was a single press for on and then press to cycle through the levels.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

oh righty, perhaps its just my clumpy fingers then, i know i got the unit replaced but just assumed it was the same – it must have been on my first one though in all seriousness as i always remember a delay when you least needed it

i may just sod the r4

and either go for a r8 or glowworm XS

rickon
    Free Member

glowworm XS!

That’ll be awesome, uses the same batteries, changable optics – tiny, and pretty cheap.

As you’re a current customer, you’ll get a good discount off I think too. Bargainous!

If you’re thinking of changing the X2 to an R4, I’d recommend against it – the X2 has a much better quality of light.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

rickon cheers, ive been put off the r4 it doesnt seem like its going to be an upgrade really does it

the XS is probably the way forward, do you fancy buying another x2??? 😉

bigdean

I’ve got an r4, mainly a hope fanboy as all the fitting, leads and chargers were compatable with the vision 2 and district rear light.

Only run the r4 on low race mode most of the time, in group rides you have to up it. The beam is good nice and diffused, some of the cheap one are like spot lights. Is it the best light? No but fits my other hope light gear and i like the beam and bright ness plus i got it on cycle to work 😉

Northwind

I like the R4 style of lights- I’ve used an R4 and my normal lights are the Magicshine equivalent MJ872s which are much the same thing. I really like it- yes there’s not that much range but the wide cast takes away any trace of “chase the beam”. I’ve been experimenting with a longer ranged 2XML light and I’ll be going back to the 4XPGs I think.

Big element of personal taste here though, spotlights used to make a lot of sense but I reckon today’s floods are powerful enough that I don’t worry about range at all.

neninja
    Free Member

Northwind – have the 2 x XML lights you have tried use reflectors? Most reflector based twin XMLs do have too tight a beam for some people but with decent optics that’s not the case.

There is certainly no tiny spot beam with the Gloworm. The combined flood/spot optic combination gives a broad beam with good throw so at speed you can make decisions earlier.

Northwind

Nah, not tight beamed at all, just tighter than the 4XPG lights (which are very floody) The beam’s pretty similiar to the Gloworm, a bit “ringier” but similiar in shape and pattern.

But like I say, I just don’t find the extra throw useful when riding, I can light up things 100 metres away which is pretty impressive but my wider beam floodlights almost always light up the next corner so I don’t need them to throw further. Usable range rather than maximum range.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Not used both but got hold of an X2 v2 a few weeks back and have used it once so far. I’m questioning the wisdon of putting my dinotte helemt light on again if I’m honest. The X2 was very bright, had good throw, no dark spots and left the helmet light unoticeable.

I can’t imagine what the v3 is like but I had to keep turning mine down when behind someone else, it was almost antisocial!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hope R4 Vs Glow Worm X2’ is closed to new replies.