Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hope QR skewers
  • robgclarkson
    Free Member

have these improved in recent times? the last pair i had were terrible and needed tightening virtually every ride…

i know QR is a bit old-hat nowadays, but i fancy some bing

Slogo
    Free Member

never had a problem with my wheels, or seat post quick releases.

Kuco

I’ve got a Hope rear imo not the best QR better of getting a Shimano XT or XTR imo.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i tried to buy some about 3 years ago too, and the shop (JE JAmes in Sheffield) told me they could get them, but advised against it as per my initial findings…

tbf it’s the only hope product i’ve had any issue with.

aP
    Free Member

Actually we’ve both just bought some new Hope QR and they look a lot reliable than the old ones. (A set of mine unwound at the skewer end once) I have mostly changed to Shimano QRs, but I just couldn’t resist them…

scotroutes

Salsa might be a better option?

Kuco

I’ve only ever had it undo twice and one of those was on a rocky decent at Afan on a hardball but I just don’t think you can beat Shimano.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i want some purple though 😳

robj20
    Free Member

Not had any issues with mine.

nickjb
    Free Member

I just don’t think you can beat Shimano.

Agree. It seems daft to spend extra money on something that does a less good job.

Waderider
    Free Member

External cam QRs are not as good as internal cam QR’s, I’ll give you that.

I run Hopes QR’s on two bikes. I don’t see how they can loosen off in use, that would be madness and a product not fit for purpose. Your problem is/was a dirty cam perhaps, meaning they are comparatively hard to close for a given tightness.

Fact is the cam needs a wee wipe clean with an oily rag on its working surfaces when attending to your bike. I do this when swapping tyres etc. and it keeps them working sweet.

rusty90
    Free Member

I don’t see how they can loosen off in use, that would be madness and a product not fit for purpose.

It would, wouldn’t it. Which is why mine are now in the spares bin, instead of on my bike. Only time I’ve been glad of lawyers tabs on the front forks was running Hope skewers.

mcnultycop

Mine are perfect. Maybe 2 years old.

eshershore
    Free Member

Only product from Hope I would not touch with barge pole, based on previous experiences, and those of customers.

Perhaps they have improved more recent versions, I’d hope so.

Shimano’s boring Q/R skewers cannot be beaten for clamping torque and ease of use at reasonable price. I’ve also found DT Swiss RWS skewers and Salsa very good, if prepared to spend a little more.

MoreCashThanDash

Mine have been fine the last 12 months or so.

But bought purely as a treat, Shimano work great to.

RustyNissanPrairie

Crap.
    Both f&r have loosen on my rigid SS, rear on my Evil Sov has been fine but it takes a huge amount of effort to tighten it and to then undo it. The cam profile is slightly wrong on the Hope QR’s
    Shimano are better but less blingy.

ricky1
    Free Member

I agree with rusty,have to wrap a towel around a screw driver and shove it between the forks and the hope QR to get it open on several occasions now,no problems with them coming loose though,but I’m generally happy with mine,had them for a year now.

stumpy01

Had mine for a couple of yrs and never had them come loose.
    There seems to be a narrow window of adjustment when you are doing up the end twiddler to get the right clamping force but it’s fine once done a few times.
    Just give them a wipe and a light oil every now and again to keep the cam smooth.

I got some gold ones to match my Barry White Inbred.

cakefacesmallblock

Not had an undoing issue, but the springs in them are made of Crapite , I’m sure.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

They’re fine. Shimano are better, but they don’t do a 170mm QR so I found hope to be a good alternative.

slidewinder
    Free Member

Wish I’d read this yesterday before ordering some online……bugger!

smatkins1
    Free Member

Hope QRs, they’re a distant memory.

Never had a problem with them coming loose… I do remember a few instance of struggling to get them undone though. I put up with this because they looked nice.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hope QR skewers’ is closed to new replies.