Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hope Pro3 , worth paying extra over Pro2 SP
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

So I’m looking at new hope hoops and am wondering if it’s really worth getting pro3’s and using Hope rotors?

What else apart from this and stainless bearings, do they have over pro2 SP’s ?

Ta

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I thought the only advantage was weight really. Pro3 are only really aimed at XC riders as far as I know.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I thought the only advantage was weight really. Pro3 are only really aimed at XC riders as far as I know.

rob2
    Free Member

I’ve got both and I’d say the normal ones are better. They feel a bit stiffer. They also give you more axle choices. The new pro2 evo hubs will have the pro3 bearings from memory.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Well you can get pro3’s on stans flow and pro2 straight-pull on stans flow so I don’t think the 3’s are exclusively for xc stuff.

My mate has said that he doesn’t think his brakes work as well with the Hope rotors included on the pro3’s….anyone else notice that?

warpcow
    Free Member

There are 2 versions of the Pro3 SPs. The XC3 with a 3-bolt disc and the AM4 with a 4-bolt disc. The XC3 will only take a 15mm conversion apparently, whereas the AM4 will take a 20mm.

No actual experience of either though.

Edit: forgot they do them with normal bolt patterns too 😳

whyter

Do they still make the SP6 version of the Pro3 Hoops (std. 6-bolt rotors)? They used to (I have a pair). No experience of Pro2 like!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

There’s an XC6 as well for normal rotors…

bigbob38
    Free Member

I thought the same before Xmas… got the pro 2’s after lots of thinking… loads of people I ride with have the pro 2’s and one has the pro 3’s – it was mr pro 3 owner who convinced me…

Yet to use them though as they are on my summer bike 🙁

Only got them then as Hope put the price up 5% on Jan 1st 😕

ps. straight pull with mavic 717’s!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

So in terms of function is the only difference really te bearings ( disc mounts aside) ?

rob2
    Free Member

Bearings and axle comparability on the xc’s as far as I know. Don’t know if the freehubs are different but I’ve not noticed anything when actually riding.

Ive got the sp-xc3 and xc6 but havent tried the am ones which I imagine are purty tough.

clubby

Don’t the Pro 3’s have an advisory maximum weight of 80/85kg?

cubemeup
    Free Member

i think hope are brining out stainless steel cartriage bearings this year so they will last yrs!! pro 2’s all the way

gab344
    Free Member

Best go with pro 2’s over the pro 3’s. Hope are replacing the Pro 2 hubs used in the Hoop wheel sets with the Pro 2 Evo.
    AFAIK this uses new stainless bearings, and a new 17mm arrangement for the rear axle, which will hopefully 🙂 sort all the rear rockshox maxle snapping problems. Should be able to pre-order Hope hoops now from ur fav Hope dealer with the new pro2 EVO hubs.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Yep, the EVO version uses stainless bearings and 17mm O.D axles (over the 15mm proII)
    Same weight, more axle for more strength in key areas.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Not absolutely sure about this, but aren’t the Pro II more future proof?. I got the impression that the Pro 3 was a tad lighter, but didn’t convert to many, if any, new standards over QR. If you’re prone to changing frames, the Pro II is more likely to convert to most of these new wheel standards. I recently bought a Cube Stereo frame with rear X-12 dropout standard and the Pro II was one of the very few hubs that converted and reasonably cheaply. The new Pro II EVO even more convertible, I’m believing. I might be mistaken tho.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro3 , worth paying extra over Pro2 SP’ is closed to new replies.