• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hope pro2 v1 conversion.
  • Olly
    Free Member

Looking at getting a new frame, but everything is blaaady boost these days. Can you/I/one convert a V1 hope pro2 to boost?

This is the first iteration of the pro2, not the evo2.

Will the flanges/brake surface be out?

Quite want a new karate monkey, but those gnotboost 135mm adaptor cup washers look like a dreadful idea.

Stevet1
    Free Member

You can’t really convert any hubs to boost, short of bodging it with some aftermarket spacer kit which a lot of hub manufacturers (who want to sell new hubs I guess) don’t condone.

Olly
    Free Member

Mmm. What I had thought. Stick to frames with older standards I guess. Shame that XL teal inbred is still full price while the smaller ones are at a reduced price.

RicB

The Lindarets Boostinator is fairly well established as a way of converting 142 to 148. True, you don’t get the benefits of wider spoke bracing and stiffer wheels but I suspect that’ll be a few % benefit at most, especially for 27.5 wheels

The Boostinator kit says ‘pro 2 evo only’ but considering the pro2 and pro2 evo hubs are identical at the disc end I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. Technically you need to re-dish the wheel 3mm to the disc side but tbh if the tyre has enough clearance I wouldn’t bother.

nixie

End caps are different between pro2 and evo so that is probably why it’s only the evo. That said you can convert to evo spec by replacing the hub innards so that is one route. Not cheap though.

I think hope do a converter for the frontm. Again wheel needs dishing.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I thought Pro2 Evo used a thicker axle (to stop them snapping when used with 12mm bolt through) so maybe the Boosted end caps won’t fit.
    To convert you needed axle and freehub IIRC.

RicB

Well the pro2 and pro2 evo have the same bearing at the disc side, and an axle that takes a 12mm bolt-thru, so I don’t see how they can be different

The cassette side is indeed different: the outer freehub bearing has a larger inner diameter to allow a thicker axle

Edit- so I’d assume the disc side end caps are identical but the cassette side end caps aren’t. The Boostinator only attaches at the disc side, so therefore should work

nemesis
    Free Member

I looked into exactly this when I got my new plus frame. Decided against adapters in the end. As above, original pro2s in 142 have a tendency to snap axles.

kelvin

ProII needs an axle swap.
    ProII Evo just end caps.
    For 142 that is.

RicB

ProII needs an axle swap.
    ProII Evo just end caps.
    For 142 that is.

If you want a Boost end cap each end to maintain wheel dish but have the chainline slightly out then yes

If you want to maintain chainline but redish the rim slightly (3mm) then you simply need a disc side Boostinator or similar end cap I think.

[wanders off to check Hopetech drawings]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro2 v1 conversion.’ is closed to new replies.