Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • hope pro2 freehub problem
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

Hi hope you can help me . I went to take the cassette off my bike and it seemed like it was jammed on I used the cassette tool and chain whip to remove the outer lockring but the cassette was jammed had to hit it with a hammer to get it off, when I looked at the freehub body there are loads of marks from the casstte on the freehub body. what would be causing this? as I can't get the cassette on now seems to be a tight fit 🙁

richie

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Common problem. Cheaper cassettes have all the sprockets individually. XT and above for Shimano have the six biggest on an alloy carrier, so the sprockets don't dig into the alloy freehub under power.

Blower
    Free Member

Non xt with feehub?
    spose to use xt or above on em i think…
    file the bits off carefully and fit new cassette,should be ok

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The alloy of the hope freehubs is a bit soft. Used with cassettes with an alloy spider such as xt is not such an issue but used with cheaper cassettes it can be, Clean it up with a file and it will be fine.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

thanks guys its a deore cassttee should it be a xt then on alloy freehub bodies ?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Yes, although if you plan on keeping the wheels a stell freehub (£50 I think) and Deore cassettes may well be a cheaper long term option!

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

might be better will look at stell freehubs would they fit pro 2 hubs and can you buy them on CRC?

misterfrostie
    Free Member

try ukbikestore they have them in stock

My pro2s are getting steel freehubs next time

nosedive
    Free Member

richie – I did the same on a bulb hub years ago and shat myself, fitted a new cassette and its been fine. check if its causing you any problems before you bin it

and merlin are doing good deals on xt cassettes with chains (also similar SRAM, I think the 970 up has the alloy spider but could be wrong)

Kamikirk
    Free Member

Yup, i had the same issue with an XT cassette, thankfully it was replaced by hope for a steel one as it was only 9 months old and i had a little tantrum… I was having a bad week 🙂

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

would this mean that alloy freehub bodies are no good for single speeding …..?????

trail_rat
    Free Member

perfectly fine with the correct cog – surly wide base or on-one groove armada

waiting to be proven wrong on that but my xc sp 3 wheel set has been set up with a groove armada cog all winter – except at puffer where i ran a 21 tooth normal cog for 14 laps and it cut in slightly but not enough to worry me

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘hope pro2 freehub problem’ is closed to new replies.