Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hope Pro2 Evo rear bearing replacement without Hope tools?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Just looking to replace the outer bearings (S61903) not the 3 in the freehub. How easy a job is it to pop the new ones in without Hope’s tools? There’s a warning on their video against using a socket, as the bearings are slightly recessed (or because they want to sell more tools).

And are the bearing size the same for Pro 2 and Pro 2 Evo?

cheers

agentdagnamit
    Free Member
    Northwind

I’ve done it with a socket, can’t remember anything about it so I assume it was pretty straightforward! There’s one nonstandard bearing though

wwaswas

because they want to sell more tools

most sockets have a chamfered edge so if you use the right size socket so that the lip rests on the outer bearing race the outside edge of the sockets it’s bigger than the hole the bearing;s going into, if you use a socket that fits the hole then the chamfer means the edge of the socket is on the bearings not the race when you start hammering it.

You can grind a socket so that the chamfer’s gone (like people do with them for Rock Shox fork servicing).

[edited a bit for clarity!]

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Turns out the tricky bit of this service is getting the non drive side spacer off the axle, it wont budge.

al

I replaced said bearings in the Lake District with a rock and an AA Maglite. Needs must and all. So yeah, you don’t need the tools if you don’t mind nothing a bit.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I use a length of studding, washers and a socket. Put washers which are the same diameter as the axle, on the axle and slide up to the bearing then put the socket on and a nut on both ends and slowly wind in. Tricky to explain, but easy to do and is much safer than twatting with a lump hammer and a socket that can damage the seal or not fit properly.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Whilst it can be done easy enough without any special tools and a bit of creativitiy it is much quicker, easier and more reassuring to use the proper tools. I eventually bit the bullet and bought the proper tools including a hub support tool, and I’m pleased I did.

Sandwich

A big plus is they also work on campag Khamsin wheel bearings too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro2 Evo rear bearing replacement without Hope tools?’ is closed to new replies.