Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hope pro2 evo – rear bearing kits
  • fadda

Hi all,

After having a rattly rear end today (fnerrrr), I’ve discovered my rear hub needs a good service.

I’ve just found the cost of the bearing kits, and wondered if there was a good alternative to buying the branded kit? Or is it worth sticking with those who would know the hubs best, and stumping up for the Hope kit?

Experiences, please, oh wise masses…

jonba
    Free Member

I think I went with the genuine kit last time. Wasn’t much more by the time you factor in half decent bearings and you know you are getting the right thing.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Out of interest how much are the hope kits? I’ve seen them online for around £30 give or take a couple of quid which is not too shabby considering there are five bearings. The cheaper option is to only replace the bearings that are shot.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve only ever managed to wear out the 2 large cartridges in the rear hub (6903s I think) although this has happened twice. The bearings in my front hub and the freewheel seem as good as new. You’ll need to decide whether it’s worth buying a full kit or just the main bearings if that’s what’s gone (you can get generic ones for a few quid but the stainless steel Hope branded ones were pricey if I remember rightly). Even if only one bearing went I’d replace the pair though.

fadda

Good call PJay – I’m a noob at this job, so don’t really get what all the bearings are for…

mudmonster
    Free Member

Got mine from simply bearings. Bought the non standard bearing they use from eBay.

I also bought the press tools so if you’re based in London feel free to borrow them. Still waiting to use the rear set, bearing refuse to wear out.

andyl
    Free Member

Evo bearings are stainless so a bit softer than non-stainless but have the benefit of not rusting.

I did price up non-genuine vs genuine and if you shop around it’s not much more than known quality non-genuine so didnt seem worth it. In the rear it’s normally the main bearings not the freehub it seems.

Picked up the tools for £24 from a store on ebay, previously I was pressing in the freehb bearing without the special tool thinking it was a waste of money but it definitely is better with the proper tool.

fadda

Andy – don’t suppose you have a link for those eBay tools…?

asbrooks

I have just gone through the same thing. Looking around The best price for stainless steel bearings is Wiggle @£42. There are some kits for £16 on ebay, I believe that these are not stainless.

andyl
    Free Member

Fadda: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161987006180

This is the Evo kit

I got the nylon wheel support block from CRC as well. not sure you need it but felt like buying the correct stuff as I have 3 sets of Evo wheels.

fadda

Fab – thanks Andy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro2 evo – rear bearing kits’ is closed to new replies.