Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hope Pro II (non evo) conversion?
  • beamishblue

Just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to convert a Hope Pro II (non-evo) hub to 142×12?

If so, what parts are required?

Thanks,
    Matt

swanny853

I think it’s a new axle and new endcaps only. But you’ll be knocking out one of the main bearings so that will likely need replacing too.

It might be worth considering buying the evo axle, end caps and freehub instead- for the extra 60 quid for the freehub you’ll have easy conversion in future

Kahurangi

You need the X12 conversation kit. I did it to the wife’s no problem though I do have the bearing replacement tools.

The resulting axle is quite thin in places but as I was putting it on a FS bike for the wee wifey I wasn’t too concerned. Bit different if you’re 100kg and putting it on a DH hardtail 😉

I thought the Pro 2 Evo has a different shell so I’m not sure that’ll work? Happy to be corrected.

beamishblue

I am 100kg and quite tough on components!!!

Del

believe the evo and pro 11 parts are interchangeable.

Northwind

You want to do the Evo upgrade tbh, the 12mm maxle in the Pro 2 wasn’t fit for purpose. The last time I snapped mine, Hope sent me 2 replacements, “for next time it happens”- which is quite funny, but really just an admission that it’s not up to the job. I’m only 10 stone! Swapping over to Evo means replacing most of the hub but it gives you reliability and is easier than replacing the entire hub.

(people say it’s because of the tapered/waisted maxle lite- bollocks it is, I had a full thickness axle in mine)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep just convert it to an evo, same shell different gubbins

Northwind

Oh, there was a steel axle made available I think? After I upgraded mine so I didn’t pay it much attention but might be worth considering.

beamishblue

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have a link to the correct components required for the evo upgrade?

Cheers,
    Matt

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    nixie

There is a page on the just riding along site. It is not a cheap upgrade though as you need a full bearing set (stainless bearings on the evo are more expensive) and a free hub. If you were prepared to spend time getting the bits second hand you can pick up the freehub for around £30. I’ve even seen one on eBay go for £20. Upgrade would also gain you the ability to run and XD free hub, or the hope version that allows a 10t ring (shimano cassette with Oneup 10 t mini cassette).

nixie

Yep just convert it to an evo, same shell different gubbins

The evo is the same shell however I think the evo 40t shell is slightly different. I think the drive side flange moved inboard slightly. Uses the same axle/freehub as the evo though.

teethgrinder

My Pro2 142x12mm axle snapped last week – went back to Hope under warranty and they sent me back a steel one. Alloy one lasted 18 months.

I’m a bit more than 10 stone.

thepodge
    Free Member

I asked a similar question a while back http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hope-hub-conversions-1

No one mentioned that the axle could snap though

Northwind

Ah sorry dude, would have done if I’d seen it- I like telling the story about the 2 replacements 😆

Stevomcd did Maths, or possibly Science, to prove the point. I thought snapping axles despite being a puny mincer was science enough…

granny_ring

Sorry OP, Northwind YGM.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ll make sure I keep an eye on it

Kahurangi

I’d happily forgotten about NW’s axle breaking habit (was this on the Hemlock?) until the new Pro2 142×12 axle turned up and though thought “yikes, there’s not much material left on this”.

IF it does break then the wheels might be due new bearings by then and I’ll swap them all over.

Del

I thought snapping axles despite being a puny mincer was science enough…

i think they call it physics? 😀

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yeah, I broke a load of the Pro2 12mm axles and some vaguely-remembered back-of-an-envelope calculations from when I used to be a mechanical engineer suggested that a single heavy landing from a chunky rider could be enough to snap it.

The axle is 12mm and the bearings are 15mm, so you’re only leaving 1.5mm wall thickness!

kimbers

I’ve been riding an old pro 2 with the 12mm axle on for 3 or 4 years now. Alps, mega, EWS Tweedlove, Enduro and DH races and I weigh a fair bit more than northwind, is been fine

dirtydog
    Free Member

The axle is 12mm and the bearings are 15mm, so you’re only leaving 1.5mm wall thickness!

What’s the score with the new one (EVO), smaller bearings thicker axle?

stevomcd
    Free Member

The new bearings have a bigger ID (which meant re-designing the freehub) meaning that the hub axle can have thicker walls.

swanny853

The main hub bearings are still the same though iirc, just the freehub that’s changed. Surprised me, i thought they’d thickened the axke the whole way through

swanny853

Edit- double post

dirtydog
    Free Member

The new bearings have a bigger ID (which meant re-designing the freehub) meaning that the hub axle can have thicker walls.

Ta, wasn’t sure, so in theory should be a bit more reliable.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro II (non evo) conversion?’ is closed to new replies.