• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hope Pro II Freehub removal
  • greasystain
    Free Member

arrrgh! it wont budge!

I've taken the end caps of and I'm trying to remove the freehub.

Any suggestions?

walla24
    Free Member

should come off easy with a gentle twist+pull?

sorry not too helpful!

greasystain
    Free Member

Yes – that's what is supposed to happen. Someone superglued mine 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

thats what the video says but not always easy, check hope website for full instruction but also consider gt85 & boiling water

coatesy
    Free Member

re-fit the cassette loosely,and tap it from behind with a drift, probably just a bit of corrosion/dirt under the bearings.

walla24
    Free Member

oh dear what a tool! have you got it off then?
    if not can get some glue removal fluid from pounland etc? keep it away from yer bearings tho!

smudge
    Free Member

As coatsey says,
    Mine wouldn't budge either but with the cassette loosely fitted I gently tapped round the rear of the cassette and off she popped.

greasystain
    Free Member

Just tried the cassette drift – nothing.

Boiling water next.

walla24
    Free Member

balls…..might be worth dropping hope a mail for suggestions.

greasystain
    Free Member

Wahoo!

I put part of an old cassette on and used a couple of mean looking Intense tyre levers to force it of. Pop!

It seems that the the outside bearing on the drive side is **** and had corrode onto the axle.

Thanks for the advice.

devs
    Free Member

Last time I had this problem I put the freehub into workmate jaws and yanked up on the wheel. Obviously that's a Black and Decker workbench type of workmate, not someone who I work with because that would be cruel. Unless they were a snow bore-der when it would be perfectly acceptable. You wouldn't even have to waste time getting them to sit down as they spend most of their lives on their fat jacksies anyways.

DrP

I posted exactly this about 5 days ago!

Glad you got it off!
    Another way to get it off is to remove end caps, support the 'disc side' over a hole (to allow axle to fall through) and smack the drive-side axle through, with the freehub body still on.

As you found, the furthest bearing corrodes onto the axle, therefore making it a pain to pull off the body. Smacking it through breaks this seal, so you can pull it off next time!

DrP

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro II Freehub removal’ is closed to new replies.