Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hope Pro II crunching noise.
  • greasystain
    Free Member

I'm getting a horrible crunching sort of noise when I put some force onto my pedals. I have changed the bearings in the hub. It's a new SLX mech and cassette and a new chain. In fact it all sits on a new Orange 5 frame.

I have noticed that the freehub outer a nice set of grooves left from previous cassettes. Could this be causing the noise? I don't want to fork out £50 for a new freehub only to find that my current one is fine.

Have I missed something obvious?

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Pedal/bb/pivot bearings

greasystain
    Free Member

It does really sound like it's coming from the back of the bike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GeeWavetree
    Free Member

swingarm is a sound box tho

greasystain
    Free Member

I was wondering if that might be the case. Every tiny sound is being amplified.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its not expensive or difficult to strip the freehub. I can't see how a gouged casette carrier would make graunchy noises unless s the cassette was moving and even then I would expect clicks/ crunches.

jimw
    Free Member

when you changed the bearings did you check the pawl springs? My ProII on an Orange 5 started making some odd noises and I found that I had broken the springs one by one until it failed – half way up the Whites climb at Afan

greasystain
    Free Member

I did strip and clean the freehub when I replaced the bearings. Paws and springs were fine

coatesy
    Free Member

Truvativ GXP chainset/BB by any chance?Also worth checking your qr is tight, often a source of strange noises on 5s.

greasystain
    Free Member

Hope BB, XT chainset.

greasystain
    Free Member

I don't think QR could be any tighter.

greasystain
    Free Member

Ah Ha! I think I've sorted the sound out. Did two things before this morning ride.

1) Tightened the QR even tighter!

2) Released that little screw on the rear mech which move the jockey wheels closer to the cassette.

Whatever it was the crunching noise seems to have disapeared for now. Mabey it was the damping effect of 3KG of caked on mud!?!

Feeling very happy.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro II crunching noise.’ is closed to new replies.