• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by igm.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hope Pro II – can it take a beating?
  • FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Getting one for a rear hub replacement.
    Can it take some abuse from a 15 stone rider or should I be thinking heavier and burlier?
    By abuse i mean poor line choice, drops to flat

TheSanityAssassin

At £130 RRP I’d start picking better lines to start with.

clubber
    Free Member

how far are the drops?

They should be fine unless you’re doing proper hardcore dh or freeride stuff and even then they’d probably cope. They are trail or xc hubs though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SteveL
    Free Member

Trail and XC? The pro 2 is Hopes ‘do it all’ hub. It’s widely used in DH and mine has seen a beating over the past year on my DH bike. It’ll be fine, plus they’re easy to take appart and service.

TheSanityAssassin

I’ve had one on my Stiffee for a couple of years. I’ve ridden everything from DH to XC on it and it’s been great. Until Saturday – when a section of the drive-side flange parted company with the rest of the body. It went back to Hope via my LBS on Monday and there’s a brand new replacement waiting for me in the shop already. Awesome customer service from the boys in Barnoldswick.

4ags4
    Free Member

Very strong and reliable in my experience – its your ears that’ll take the beating!

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Mine is on its’ second bike. When I bought it,the mechanic said that Hope after sale service is second to none. I’ve had no need to experience it,as I’ve had no problems in 5 years. I’m a light(ish) rider and I’m not into jumps etc,but I do ride in some crappy coditions. A fantastic product. I’ve also got their headset,which is a similar age and is on its’ second bike.Again,no problems.

Elmo
    Free Member

Only 15 stone!……pah!

I’ve got a few pounds on you! And my line choices/skill perception are still questionable!

But as yet the hoops and hubs are the only things i haven’t had to faff with!

tops5
    Free Member

Been running an XC rear hub since about 1999! No problems despite my clumsy technique.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

ive had all the fancy hubs and nothing can touch a hope hub for reliability

you can look at a good couple of years without touching it no matter how, what or were you ride

coopersport1
    Free Member

I like them and probably wouldn’t change them BUT in the year i’ve had them I’ve had to replace the pawl springs twice, only 1 out of 4 each time but seems to be the weak point if they have one.
    I used to be 15 1/2 stone but am now done to 13st 12lbs and still had the problem recently. They probably covered about 1000miles in a year.

kelvin

Can you not spec a steel freehub and stronger axle in ProII hubs if you’re worried?

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Thanks guys seems its a big tick for Hope, anything is better than not being able to get spares easily for the WTB hub I’ve been running.
    on a tangent – Coopersport1 how did you loose the weight? As no matter how often I ride (daily recently for at least a hour plus one weekend ride of 3hrs) its seems slow progress on loosing a few pounds

takisawa2

16.5ST here & my pair of Pro2’s have taken 18months of abuse with no fettles.
    Thoroughly recommended.
    I’d have done a couple of XT hub fettles in that time before the Pro2’s came along.

kimbers

definately recomend getting a 10mm rear QR or dt thru axle mega stiff!

yoshimi

had mine over 3 years, done the alps on DH bike, had them on the Stiffee taking lots of abuse, now on XC hardtail – highly recommended, by me

Trimix
    Free Member

The spokes and rim will bust before the hub.

coopersport1
    Free Member

on a tangent – Coopersport1 how did you loose the weight? As no matter how often I ride (daily recently for at least a hour plus one weekend ride of 3hrs) its seems slow progress on loosing a few pounds

I followed the Mrs on the weightwatchers program for a bit which resulted in Literally eating less! Cut portion sizes (which were massive!) and max out on the fresh fruit and veg. + ride 3 to 4 times a week. Oh and don’t pick between meals. Very hard but ultimately I feel loads better for it! Nearly 2 stone since xmas!

igm

16st here – Pros and Pro IIs on hard tails and full suss. No problems to report (except where a cassete got stuck on the Pro and in trying to get it off the free hub came off unexpectedly – cue searching for tiny springs under kitchen units – probably not technically Hope’s fault)

Very strong and reliable in my experience – its your ears that’ll take the beating!

These ones go up to eleven

😈

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro II – can it take a beating?’ is closed to new replies.