Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hope Pro II bearing kit – which one?
  • clanton
    Free Member

I want to change the beearings on a set of pro II’s and want to get the rigth tools rather than bodge it with sockets etc.

However there are two options:
    [/url]CRC option

or

Complete kit

I take it the second set will do all the older hubs (My wife’s bulb, my XC, as well as the newer Evo’s?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To my mind it’s rather pointless buying either of those tools, as it’s basically the same as using sockets. You’re still going to end up hitting it with a hammer! And it also very specific, i.e. it won’t do much else
    If you want to do it properly, Wheels manufacturing do a ‘home mechanic’ drive kit (Madison part number WMTL4089) and separate press (WMTL4086) which will be £80 together. That should do pretty much any bearing you’re ever likely to find on a bike.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve never changed hub bearings so I’m not speaking from experience, but on the Hope video it mentions using sockets, and if I remember correctly, the fella says that while sockets can be ok for some of the bearings, there are others where, due to the curved shape of the socket, all the force would go on the seal not the edge of the bearing, which was a bad thing.

creamegg
    Free Member

Ive got the tools shown in the complete kit (bought from uk bike store as cheapest at the time- may be worth a look). The proper tools do make it easier although ive done it easily enough with a socket set as mentioned above. I bought the tools as all my wheels have hope bubs but if its just a one off now and again id just use a socket set assuming you have one

Goldigger
    Free Member

I just replaced the two main bearings in my pro 2 evo rear..
    Didn’t make any tools on my mill, I knocked the old bearings out/off with a socket.
    Sanded the outer edge of the old bearing and used that with a flat socket on the outer rim to knock the new bearings in..

clanton
    Free Member

Thanks – have done it previously with a socket set on an older wheelset but most of our wheels have hope hubs now so don’t mind investing in the proper tools.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As gold digger says, use the old bearings to knock the new ones in.

I have that kit, it was for the original pro2, so doesn’t fit over 12mm axles, and there is no tool for knocking in the freehub bearings either. Pretty poor really.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Access to a lathe and some lengths of nylon tube would be great, could knock together a perfect set in a few minutes. Sadly I have no access to a lathe these days.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Nooberinthefridge
    I was going to use delrin if I felt the need to machine some up.. Do you think they would be strong enough and last?

I could knock some out and sell them to single track cheaper than the hope ones..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think it would be strong enough, a good idea to use a rubber mallet with it mind. Should last well, as it wouldn’t really be used that much if you consider how long bearings last, unless folks are buying cheap shite.

All the sizes are on hope website, so very easy to do. Have a look on eBay for nylon, as it should be a bit stronger and you can sometimes pick up job lots for much cheapness.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro II bearing kit – which one?’ is closed to new replies.