Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • hope pro II
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

what size bearings for the back hub?

anywhere online i can order?

JB
    Free Member

I think they are 6002 but check the Hope Website, worth getting SKF bearings they last longer and are about the same price as the Hope supplied version… buy them from here..
    http://www.simplybearings.co.uk/shop/ball_bearings.php?gclid=CIudnZuzh5oCFQNfFQodHhyWEQ
    JB

GTDave
    Free Member

6802 2rs x2
    6903 2rs x2
    6902 2rs x1

Drac

6802 2rs x2
    6903 2rs x2
    6902 2rs x1

DOH!

thomthumb
    Free Member

sorry dumb question there are 5 bearings? thanks

Drac

Yes in the Hope Pro II rear there’s 5.

thomthumb
    Free Member

£60 – seems a bit excessive! new hub is only twice that!

are some of these freehub bearings that i don’t need – i’m a tight arse!

Drac

£60 seems to me you got something wrong some where bearings are about £4 each.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Try these guys, good replacement cartridge bearings at a reasonable price
    can reccomend

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/basket.asp

thomthumb
    Free Member

£4 i’ve got them at £11.95 each. what am i oding wrong! 😳

Drac

Maybe your not it’s about 3 years since I ordered any. 😕

thomthumb
    Free Member

OK 😀

thanks for the help – i’m sure once i get the bearings out it’ll all make sense.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You will probably find that not all the bearings are worn

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

You’ll find bearings dealers on ebay. I got all 5 bearings dead cheap from webtradersonline0791 (an ebay shop). Bearings from bike shops/sites tend to be a lot dearer in my experience. There are a couple of specific tools (Bearing drift, hub support) made by hope which make replacement a lot easier but I daresay you could bodge something. A set of circlip pliers is also handy. Using the right tool is always “nice” and avoids a lot of gnashing of teeth. Oh, use a rubber/plastic mallet too if you can, helps you really whack in the bearings without damaging your hub.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Heat the hub with hot water and freeze the new bearings – this will make it much easier

Anthony
    Free Member

The 3 freehub bearings only need doing if the freehub has play. If just the hub has play (noticable at the rim) then it’s just the 2 6903’s you need.

Hope use INI and are avaiable from 18bikes for about £5ish. SKF are overpriced for MTB use IMO and don’t last twice as long. The cheap £1.50 Ebay alternatives lasted me about 3 weeks compared to about 6 months with the INI’s.

The Hope tools are inexpensive and well worth the money (again 18bikes can supply), I struggled to find sockets deep enough for the Pro2’s. Although mine is the 10mm bolt up axle which may be larger in diameter than the QR version. The old XC hubs were easy with sockets.

Drac

Unless I’ve forgotten something as been ages since I did mine you don’t need circlip pliers it’s all just push in.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If just the hub has play (noticable at the rim) then it’s just the 2 6903’s you need.

Anthony, where were you when I posted a thread on this last week?? I spent ages “bullying” my bearings out of my XC freehub only to find they were OK – apart from the one I cracked when trying to remove! Should have just done the hub body bearings then, eh? 😥

Drac

Personally I replace them all as if one has worn then it’s puts pressure on the others increasing their wear, stick some new bearings in with part worn bearings and their all going to have shortened life. Of course I could be wrong but that’s how I see it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘hope pro II’ is closed to new replies.