Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Hope Pro I I are some cassettes better than others?
  • sprocker
    Free Member

Wondered if you are better of with shimano than sram, XT rather than deore, as far as the scoring on the hub body goes

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Almost certainly.

jamesb
    Free Member

You`re supposed to use an alloy cassette carrier with Pro 2, apparently!

IA

This thread should be a sticky.

jamesb is correct. XT and above (or equivalent). Don’t buy expensive light hubs and put cheap heavy cassettes on anyhow, kinda misses the point?

However, someone will be along shortly to say how they used a single cog made of diamond hammered onto the hub and they had no problem with scoring, or somesuch, I expect…

toys19
    Free Member

Hmm this sounds sensible, only my orange p7 pro came from orange as standard with pro 2 hubs alloy freehub, cheap sram steel cassete…

sprocker
    Free Member

Thanks will go for XT would have stuck the deore on I have.

Angry-pirate
    Free Member

ohhh fml, i just got my slx cassette which is to go on a new set of pro 2’s, it has an alloy carrier though, it should be ok right? RIGHT? lol

neninja
    Free Member

I’d have thought SLX HG80 cassettes should be fine as they definitely have an alloy carrier – they’re only slightly heavier than XT

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Could get a SRAM 980 or 990 also.

RealMan
    Free Member

Does freehub body scoring actually matter?

Northwind

Hope claim it’s only cosmetic. Of course this is incredibly transparent total bulls**t. But a bit of scoring isn’t a problem, my Pro 2s are too new to have much but my DT freehub looks like it’s been attacked with an angle grinder. It still works, it’s just a total bollocks to get the cassette off it.

SLX is on an alloy carrier and seems fine, one less cog is on the carrier than XT which doesn’t seem like such a big deal to me. Oh, on the subject of SLX here is a genuine weightweenie fact, half of hte weight difference between XT and SLX is in the lockring and they’re compatible so if you’ve got an old XT cassette, just swap them over. Do I know how to party, or what?

RealMan
    Free Member

Oh, on the subject of SLX here is a genuine weightweenie fact, half of hte weight difference between XT and SLX is in the lockring and they’re compatible so if you’ve got an old XT cassette, just swap them over. Do I know how to party, or what?

Would you like to come to my house for dinner?

😉

Northwind

All this time I’ve been trying to find the way to your heart, and all I had to do was be myself. That’s so beautiful.

RealMan
    Free Member

Its a special moment.

rudedog
    Free Member

‘special’ being the operative word 😉

TimCotic
    Free Member

Does anyone know whether the SLX is tougher and longer-lived than the SRAM 970? I’ve run the SRAMs before but have the SLX cassette currently.

julianwilson
    Free Member

forgive my rusty physics, but if you seem to be pushing a harder gear in the smallest 3 sprockets (not mounted on alloy carrier) are they not the ones exerting the most pressure (and therefore scoring) on the freehub splines?

I would be happy to be told otherwise though, just something i wondered the other day dismantling a mate’s hope wheel… I also realise that is not what seems to happen in practice (ie scrong occurs futher up the cassette in ‘easy’ gears).

jamesb
    Free Member

No don`t agree with your physics—–as the larger cassette sprockets are obviously larger there is a bigger torque applied to teh freehub body = more damage; imagine the sprockets to be spanners acting on a bolt (ie teh freehub), the longer the spanner teh bigger the force applied to the freehub.
    Having used non alloy carriers on Pro II previously issue seems to be that teh scoring / notching results in sprockets being difficult to remove iME

toys19
    Free Member

In theory jamesb is absolutely correct, but there are some factors which would make this part of the discussion moot

1) Some (most I think) cassettes are connected through each sprocket so the torque on any sprocket will be distributed through the other sprockets.

2) jamesb assumes that the tension in the chain is the same in every gear. In reality you might tend to work harder in the higher gears so you may be exerting more force on the cranks and hence a higher tension in the chain, and hence a raising of the torque applied in higher gears, which would tend to even things out.

3) Even if only some sprockets created dents in the freehub it still makes the whole thing a bastard to remove..

I whack mine with carefully a rubber mallet opposite to the drive direction and then the cassette comes off easily, so far.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i use sram x9 with my pro 2 no probs

verses

I asked advice on what cassette to put on my Hope Pro IIs. Opted for SLX. Removed it recently and discovered it had bitten into the carrier 🙁 It takes a bit of persuasion to come off as well 🙁 Wish I’d paid the extra few bob for XT now…

retro83
    Free Member

Whatever you do, dont use the cheap sram ones which have plastic spacers and are just joined together with a pin. pin on mine came loose and badly dented the freehub body in just an hour or so of riding before I noticed 🙁

julianwilson
    Free Member

as the larger cassette sprockets are obviously larger there is a bigger torque applied to the freehub body = more damage; imagine the sprockets to be spanners acting on a bolt (ie teh freehub), the longer the spanner the bigger the force applied to the freehub.

oh yes, now its explained that way it makes much more sense, and indeed consistent with scoring being further ‘up’ the freehub. Thanks jamesb.

Northwind

verses – Member

“I asked advice on what cassette to put on my Hope Pro IIs. Opted for SLX. Removed it recently and discovered it had bitten into the carrier It takes a bit of persuasion to come off as well Wish I’d paid the extra few bob for XT now..”

Point is XT isn’t all on a carrier either so the “solo” cogs still dig in- that’s why people recommend SLX, it doesn’t do anything XT doesn’t do.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I fitted my existing Deore cassette to a new Hope Hoop…I wasn’t aware of any specific cassette recommendation from Hope and I’ve just had a quick butchers on their website and can’t see any such recommendation on the hub pages either, or maybe I’m just not looking in the right place.

Anyhow, after seeing this thread I thought I’d treat my new wheel & hub to a SRAM PG990 and I’ve just gone to fit it…old cassette was a bugger to get off and there are indentations all around the hub after a grand total of about 50 miles.

It all seems a bit sh1t to me. Is there any point in getting in touch with Hope? Seems like it’s a known issue, will they do anything about it, or will it just be a waste of time and effort, bearing in ming the ‘cosmetic only’ comments from Hope previously?

Cheers.

Northwind

It’s worth giving them a ring, put that famous customer service to the test. I’d be surprised if you get a result but it can’t hurt.

carbon337
    Free Member

My 2010 five came with a crap steel cassette that ate into the hub after 3 rides. I complained to Orange and the shop and the shop replaced it with an XT and Orange replaced there stock.

It was something Orange were going to address when I spoke to them. A post on the Orange facebook page seemed to do wonders for getting it sorted 😉

jamesb
    Free Member

If youre not worried about the weight I think that the freehub can be swopped for a steel one, and if youre worried about the weight but not the cost a titanium one…..

craig1975
    Free Member

Ive ran..

shimano XT and SLX

Sram PG970, PG980 and PG990

on Hope pro 2 hubs all scored the freehub and i managed to ware out the 3 biggest cogs on all of the cassettes.. the SLX being the Shortest lived one.. in less than 3 months

I file the burs away, that form on the free hub, which helps for a while

Ive just bolted a Deore on because I’m sick of spending loads of dosh for expensive soft tat

sprocker
    Free Member

put on a 990 sram, so at least the red in it match my bike and hopefully won’t scar it to much. £45 from chain reaction at the minute.

retro83
    Free Member

forgot to say, there is a bodge which involved filing one of the splines down, putting a straightened out staple along the length of it and sticking it in place.

Really, Hope need to do something like this:

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro I I are some cassettes better than others?’ is closed to new replies.