Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hope pro 4 vs DT350s
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

Just about to build a new set of 29er wheels. Decided to replace my Mavic Crossmax XLs. Great rim, unreliable hub.

So i want something that is hassle free and just works. Trying to decide between DT350 and Hope Pro 4 – which ever is the most reliable and straightforward to maintain (or preferably as little maintenance other than an annual strip down as possible

Which would you go for?

benpinnick

I would say the Hope is slightly easier to strpi down due to the faff with the 350s DS hub bearing and ratchet ring… but that bearing lasts for ages, so its the least problematic. If you want to save on weight go DT, ease of parts/life go hope. Both good.

teasel
    Free Member

DT on the front, Hope on the rear. Best of both worlds…

😉

eshershore
    Free Member

I used hope hubs for years before finding DT.

Found DT Swiss 350 an amazing hub regardless of the good value, slight weight penalty, marginally lower grade bearings, but same ‘guts’ as the 240.

Build the wheels, forget about the hubs, maybe twice a year clean and lube the ratchet drive – takes 5-10 mins with basic tools.

Spares very easy to come by if needed. the special lockring tool not expensive on its own, sockets do the rest

smatkins1
    Free Member

I had this dilemma a few months ago. I went with the Pro4, but that was mainly down to sticking with what I know. Not regretted the choice so far!

olibluegoat
    Free Member

My feeling at this moment is to go DT although people have been saying the new hope 4s are pretty good

Presume the star ratchet upgrade on the DTs is essential?

eshershore
    Free Member

@olibluegoat

I have 350’s in the MTB with the stock ratchet

I have 240’s on the road bike with DT Swiss built giant deep section aero wheels, again the stock ratchet

Never felt any need to change or upgrade

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Presume the star ratchet upgrade on the DTs is essential?

Not at all. I’ve had a singlespeed DT240 hub for many years. Never felt I was missing anything by having less ratchet teeth.
    I had a CK SS hub for a while on another bike. The difference was very noticeable but the advantage slight.

sillyoldman

Got 2 sets of 240s with the 36T ratchet, and some 240s and 350s with the 18T. Prefer the 36T but it’s not a deal breaker (hence running 3 sets with standard 18T).

olibluegoat
    Free Member

sillyoldman

How have you found reliability in the British slop?

sillyoldman

Spot on.

Oldest I have is 11 or 12 years old, replaced DS bearing in rear once.

As above, free hub super simple to service, and the hassle of replacing the DS bearing is vastly overstated as it needs done so infrequently.

Haven’t found an alternative cartridge hub that runs with so little drag, and with such reliability.

tmb467
    Free Member

240s would be my preferred choice – but 350 and pro 4 are both great.

Main difference for me is do you want the Hope colour and bling or the silence of the DT

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Sounds like the DT350 is the go.

Above all else i really want something that’s just reliable

chiefgrooveguru

My older set of Pro2s have done about 4000 miles, in all weathers, over 5 years and they’re still on the original bearings.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I’m running 350’s but haven’tput many miles into them yet. I’d still prefer pro4 at this stage though, how can you not love a hope pro hub?!?

Kahurangi

Because supporting the remains of the British economy is overrated? 😉

olibluegoat
    Free Member

dirtbiker100 -what do you prefer about the Hope Pro4s over the DT350s

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Because supporting the remains of the British economy is overrated?

even when the product is good enough that there is not a clear choice ?

hatter

If you buy the DT hub from your LBS most of the actual profit made in the supply chain will be made in the U.K. anyway.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I have gone dt simply down to the racket hope hubs make freewheeling. It drives me nuts.

cokie

I had this dilemma recently.
    I’ve used both DT and Hope for years at a a time. Both were fine reliability wise. The Pro2’s that I had on my SS winter bike had a hard life. I did find the labrinth seal wasn’t great, so I wasn’t sure if the Pro4 would be any better. I went for the Pro4 anyway, and I don’t regret it. The seal looks a lot better, pickup is spot on and I’m supporting British. I’ve filled the pawl/ratchet space with grease and it’s pretty much silent now.

Kahurangi

even when the product is good enough that there is not a clear choice ?

That was kind of my tongue-in-cheek and very lazily point. The two products are similar with a few differences, close price point and both highly regarded.

Buy the one that’s local or the one that’s not?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro 4 vs DT350s’ is closed to new replies.