Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 rear problem
  • Shorty121
    Free Member

The free hub seemed to be sticking so I removed the cassette and then took the 2 end caps off then I came to the free hub body and I can't seem to get it off. I'm following the hope video which twists and pulls I do that and get nothing. Any pointers?

Shorty121
    Free Member

Am I cursed or something? Because no one seems to reply to my posts 🙁

Liftman

Replyed

Happy now 🙂

The freehub should pop off quite easily, if it is really stuck i would take it to you lbs to do it, its an expensive hub to mess up if you try and force it.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Yeah I am very happy 😛 I'll have another go after some WD40 has been on for an hour or so

Cheers

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Put the rear casette back on the freehub and use this to pull the whole assembly off by putting both hands/fingers around the back of it,theres more leverage by doing this and it will usually come off easily.

It works best if you hold the sprockets against the pawls slightly as you work it off,remember its best to use alloy freehubs with alloy cassettes,steel/steel,as steel cassettes causes wear on the alloy splines,causing it to jam. 😥

Be carefull not to loose small parts,and remember to fit the washer between the wheel bearing and freehub body,I would replace the plastic free hub to hub seal as well,I would avoid using grease to lube,automotive oil works best or a light three in one oil.

getting everything clean is vitally important,I use brake cleaner as this evaporates quickly, and leaves no residue unlike a dry lube.

Try to press fit new bearings using a peice of threaded bar/nuts/washers and the old bearings,avoid steel punches and hammering on replacment as it can cause damage imho. hth 😉

Shorty121
    Free Member

Right I haven't tried that yet try it tommorow because I've just put it back on the bike for a ride tommorow…

Shorty121
    Free Member

I've tried what you say and it still won't budge 🙁

foxyrider
    Free Member
    Shorty121
    Free Member

I'm sure I've got everything taken off that might be restricting it but it won't budge at all 🙁

devs
    Free Member

When I had this problem I held the freehub in the jaws of a workmate and pulled up on the wheel. Proper job. Just don't lose the spacer washer.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Tried putting it in a vice and no luck 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Wouldn't have problem if you'd bought a King hub 😀

Shorty121
    Free Member

They came on the bike 😛 I don't know how they have become so stuck if it is only a seal holding it in.

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey. They just get stuck. Give it a really good pull and try not too whack your elbow on anything.

Shorty121
    Free Member

I've hit the thing with a hammer from the none drive side I don't know if there's anything more to do 🙁

kaesae
    Free Member

I have one in the work shop I'll figure out the best way to take it of tomorrow and let you know what I figure out if you like. Let me know though I don't want to do it for no good reason.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Ah that would be great I don't think I'll be giving it another go until tomorrow night

If you do find anything can you PM me?

br
    Free Member

Mate they do just pull off, even with my soft office hands – try your LBS.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Yeah If I can't do it tomorow or kaesae can't find a way of doing it, Then I'll send it to 18bikes

16lb sledge mate, its in the manual?

Shorty121
    Free Member

Well if you want to pay for the rebuild of the wheel then you can be my guest 😛

shortcut

They do just pull off. Stick it all back together with a cassette on and pull on the cassette it will just come apart in your hands.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Doesn't seem to budge at all

bigyinn
    Free Member

Try penetrating oil. bearings may have corroded onto the axle. Plus gas is good, drench and leave overnight.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Yeah that is an idea is it possible to hit the axle out with the free hub still on?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The axles made of alloy and a bit soft to bosh with a hammer!

use a peice of wood if you really must wack it!..you will feel better if nothing else..lol

Its the freehub you need to remove to access the stiff inner bearing thats mounted on the axle,chances are the odd spring will have broken anyway.

,If it still wont budge try tapping gently on the back of the cassette with a flat punch (between the spokes)also try to work the cassette off the splines by doing this in a circular motion around the inner face of the bigger sprocket. hth 🙄

Aidan
    Free Member

Don't force it gorilla-style but, if you can lift the freehub a bit, then you might be able to squeeze a screwdriver between the hub body and one of the "teeth" on the freehub (the bits you slide the cassette onto). I've successfully done that on a recalcitrant hub.

EDIT: I was pretty late there, and it seems you're already well past subtle methods… good luck!

Shorty121
    Free Member

Haha real it's a real shame because they such nice hubs. I've even tried the screwdriver through the spokes method 🙁

greasystain
    Free Member

I had EXACTLY the same problem a few weeks back.

I put part of an old cassette on and used a couple of mean looking Intense tyre levers to force it off. Pop! You could just as easily use a couple of large flat headed screwdrivers.

With the drive side facing you – Place the end of the levers at the edge of the hub behind the cassette at 3 and 9 Oclock. Pull the outside edge of the levers. Jobs a good'n.

Good luck

Shorty121
    Free Member

Hmmmm cheers i'll give it another go tomorrow atleast I'm not the only tool 😛

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey. I would soak it with the penetrating solution over night. That's a good idea and then have a go at it. I'll have a go at working out some techniques tomorrow.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Ok got it soaking off to bed thanks very much people 🙂

boxelder

With the cassette attached, tap the back of the cassette (with a screwdriver through the spokes, or maybe one each side). If that fails ……………………….tw*t the back of the cassette (with a screwdriver through the spokes, or maybe one each side)

Wibble89
    Free Member

If its really stuck then as a last resort smack the axle out from the drive side with a rubber mallet. Though this will probably result in needing a full rebuild, as it could damage the bearings from putting force on the internal bearing race and the hub bearings will pop out of the hub and off the axle. Probably the outer most bearing has rusted onto the axle. Its what the LBS will do if nothing else works.

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey. Hopefully this will be of some use.

wwaswas

Kaesae – that looks like it's worth a try 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

It works you just add in more 2 pence pieces and it pulls it off. make sure you catch as many threads as possible. I'm off up arthurs seat to feed the birds, day off and I'm knackered.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Thanks very much included a video aswell 🙂 I'll just go give it ago

kaesae
    Free Member

Cool shorty121 I love solving problems, I know if I want to be a fully fledged single tracker I should argue over nothing and talk crap. Getting stuff done is much more fun. Let me know how you get on.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Sucess gosh it was tough the bearing was seized to the axle I think. So when the axle got near flush with the bearing I used a nut with the 2p's and it came off 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 rear problem’ is closed to new replies.