Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 Rear Hub Axle, not supposed to be 2 piece?
  • andymac
    Free Member

Just a double check before I order a new one. I am rebuilding my 135 x 12mm bolt through pro 2 and the axle is in 2 pieces. I take it this is not normal? Might explain why the wheel was loose, I was blaming the bearings!

chestrockwell

Same happened with my old Pro 2 hub. Hope replaced it for free and also replaced the pawls and springs while they were at it. 😀

gardron
    Free Member

Noooo, that’s one piece with two bearings on it, one at either end (if we ignore the freehub).

Well done though, that deserves some space on a wall of shame

stevomcd
    Free Member

They were infamous for breaking in 12mm axle version.

andymac
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies. Ideally need it for the weekend so will probably just pay up. It is at least 5 years old.

senorj

I would call hope in the morning & wouldn’t be suprised if they replaced it gratis.

zedz
    Free Member

Hope replaced the original design with a later version that was ‘thicker’ where they tended to break. I would definitely give them a ring. Doesn;’t hurt to have a spare even if you buy one : )

Northwind

It is both not supposed to be like that, and also completely normal- 12mm pro 2 is too weak for the job. The second time I broke one, they sent me 2, a spare for “next time it happens”.

There’s an upgrade option, you can keep the hub shell and rebuild with pro 2 evo parts which fixes the issue. Or, Hope will in my experience send you replacements for free (but will not offer to fix the issue, or even to sell you the parts at under RRP to do so, which is a bit crap)

I might actually have a spare somewhere if you want me to check?

eshershore
    Free Member

Speak to Hope..they are solid on backing up their products. They recently replaced the alloy free hub body on my pro 3 mono rear road wheel, with a steel body FOC as it was the second alloy one I’d ruined.

unsponsored
    Free Member

I’ve just upgrade my Pro 2 from QR to 12mm. After a bit of research I saw that there was a change in the axel design due to breakages. I purchased a new axel from CR and it fitted the new profile.

coatesy
    Free Member

Nobody’s mentioned it yet,and doubtful if it’s made it to 5yrs old anyway, but the waisted Maxle Lite didn’t help with their durability by removing support under the most heavily loaded part of the axle. Sram replaced a shedload of them with standard ones for us.

bigh
    Free Member

Yes, as stated above make sure you’re not still using the old maxle lite

andymac
    Free Member

No on a 224 Evo, so normal axle.

creamegg
    Free Member

still happens on the newer maxle. Happened twice to me on the Hope Pro 2 (non-evo).

One phone call / email to hope and they’ll send you a replacement within 24 hrs free of charge (even though my hub was 4 yrs old… they didn’t even ask- fairly common problem so they are likely to sort out quickly)

hairyscary

Ask hope to send you a steel replacement.
    I did have to send them my snapped aluminium one to get the replacement.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 Rear Hub Axle, not supposed to be 2 piece?’ is closed to new replies.