Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 or Dt Swiss 240s ..Pros n Cons ..
  • mattythemod
    Free Member

Bit of a quandry here and not sure what to buy , on one hand the DT claim to be lighter and have a diffrent engagement system .

Hope hubs have nice bling red colours lol , spare parts and tech only a phone call away and not to mention they are a lot cheaper !!

Opinions guys please .

njee20
    Free Member

DT240s are lighter, it's not a claim. Their hubs are extremely reliable, and parts are available very easily through either Pace (so you can still talk to a northerner when you want your hubs fixed) or Madison. They're available in white, and centre lock or 6-bolt.

But… they're more expensive.

Tough choice. DTs if you want to be a bit more unusual.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have 2 sets of Hope Pro II. Easy to service, spare parts etc. My mate wanted me to service his rear hub and had a DT 240. I needed a spceial lockring tool to remove one of the bearings which the official tool is £60 although you can bodge one if you are handy at welding. No brainer for me if you want to do all of the servicing yourself – if you dont that the DT Swiss hubs maybe better for you if you like them. Go for hopes everytime myself.

njee20
    Free Member

Ah yes, I have access to the full service kit, which possibly makes me biased. It is very expensive!

darrell
    Free Member

i use Hope on my BFe and DT on my Blur. both work great and one of them is reet noisy like.

I prefer the DT though

BadlyWiredDog

I run both on different bikes – two of each – and they're both decent hubs. Stuff to be aware of is that the Pro 2 is fearsomely noisy when free-wheeling which you'll either like or not, the 240S is more restrained, but still quite pleasant to listen to.

The Pro 2 freehub bearings seem to die relatively quickly compared to the
    DT SWiss bearings, don't know why, but they just do. The freehub body on the Hopes marks up very easily, beware of using it with a singlespeed converter if that's a possibility.

Spares for both are readily available ime. The DT Swiss tool is a pita if you do your own servicing, I bought one ages ago when it was more like 25 quid and servicing them has been fine. If you don't do your own servicing, that's not really a factor. I prefer the DT Swiss at a sort of gut level, though I do know people who've broken them. Then again I know folk who've broken Pro 2s as well.

I guess it comes down to weight and ease of servicing really. Or just gut feeling…

mattythemod
    Free Member

guess i am being a bit of a fashion victim when i say a deciding factor is the Red colour of hope hubs and the loud clicking wich the DT does not have lol !

njee20
    Free Member

The DT hubs sound much nicer I think, admittedly they're usually not as loud, but it's certainly less objectionable.

Wouldn't say the freehub is any less prone to marking from a cassette though, I have to remove the cassette on my road wheels with a screwdriver usually!

hazeii
    Free Member

I have both too, and agree with BWD above. The DT240 feels and sounds more expensive, and weighs less. DT's have been faultless, only problem with the Pro 2 has been the infamous freehub notching, making cassette removal tricky (even with spidered cassettes). Not had that problem with the DT240 yet.

dasnut
    Free Member

the thing that swung me was the white hubs on a ex1750 wheelset (and the 10mm bolt through rear axle of course)
    ditched the crappy dtswiss rims and replaced with stans flows

perfect match on the zesty

all other bikes have hope though as I can service myself

Lionheart
    Free Member

We have both, Hope easier to look after but need more looking after, I like the DT more. Not sure about 'dasnut' comments on DT rims, we run them on XC and DH racing bikes, they have been very good. And when building wheels DT Swiss rims are very well made the Stans have been fairly dire.

trailertrash

I quite like the wizzy noise my Pro IIs make 🙂

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Pro 2's for me.
    I live for that noise 🙂

Gets walkers out the way…..fast!!

dasnut
    Free Member

I personally found the dt swiss rims (5.1 I believe) to be very soft and dent easily. As I run tubeless, this is a problem (especially dents on the bead area).
    I have so far not had this problem with Mavic (819, 823) or Stans (flow) rims

(been running tubeless for 3 years so I knows a thing or 3 about it)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 or Dt Swiss 240s ..Pros n Cons ..’ is closed to new replies.