Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hope pro 2 (non Evo) rear hub conversion to 10mm help
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Hi, I have a rear pro 2 that I would like to swap to 10mm axle.

How easy is this to do and is it definitely worth it?

Cheers

Northwind

Quite easy to do- basically whack out old axle, fit new one, refit bearings. So if you can change a bearing you can change the axle.

Worth it? Harder to say. I think there’s a little stiffness difference but not much and not enough that it really makes any practical difference. I use a bolt-in and I like the 2 points of securing thing, both bolts need to loosen before the wheel can come out.

But if you’ve got a bendy frame, it could well be more worthwhile.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ah ok, not got the tools so might stick with standard QR for now.

Going on a 2012 Giant Trance X frameset.

Cheers for the advice mate

honourablegeorge

I’d be more tempted by the bolt-in. No axle to buy.

Northwind

Bolt-in is surprisingly light, too.

Incidentally Mosey, no need for the official tools- sockets are all you need, though o’course not everyone has suitable sizes. The Hope tools make it ever so slightly simpler but aren’t worth it.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ah ok, I have sockets depending on what size I need.

What’s the bolt thru version? I guess I’m talking about a quick release axle like a maxle right?

Sorry for the confusion I’ve never changed the back from QR before.

Northwind

Aye, bolt-through uses a massive quick release (or nutted axle).

I can’t remember what hte sizes of the sockets are- going to say 30mm but that’s a bit of a guess. you need 2 the same size (when I say size, it’s the outside diameter not the nut size) , one deep and one shallow freehub size needs a deep one). Or, one socket for the brake side, and then tap the bearingin on the other side but that’s got much more chance of going wrong.

You can get to the bearings without doing anything serious- just take the freehub off to get to the bearing on the driveside, or the endcap and seal on the brakeside. Then see if you’ve got anything that fits.

STATO
    Free Member

3 options open to you that people are talking about above.

QR,
    Bolt thourgh (10mm), you need to buy the axle kit and also a 10mm bolt or QR.
    Bolt-on/in, bolts come with the axle kit so no extras to buy, uses 10mm bolts to secure in frame, little bit more faff but cheaper and strong/stiff.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Anyone know if the tools are the same for the pro2 and the pro2Evo? Thinking about getting a set, but only worth it if they’ll do all my wheels.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

stiffened up mine, i bought a 10mm qr from superstar for about 8 quid, its actually really well made, its definitely made my rear end stiffer….i really did doubt it would, but over peak district boulders and rocky descents it feels more solid…..it was only around 20 quid to do it so thought why not!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Wildly did you just buy the 10mm conversion kit and the superstar axle?

Is that all I need parts wise? Then the tools obviously

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yep , just bought the 10mm conversion kit, as i have a new outer evo shell, but standard pro2 internals like you, so it wasnt just a case of swapping the end caps over for me 🙁

conversion kit is about 15quid from what i remember, 10mm qr is 8 ish and i bunged the lbs 5 quid to do it…..they are good like that to me though, probably more elsewhere……

i dont see the point in the tool kit myself, it cost me 10 quid to have the freehub bearings and wheel bearings fitted, and 5 quid to do the conversion…….the front bearings are still going strong 2 years on so i think this time ill just pay a tenner to let them do it…..then in a few more years when need changing again ill get the tools…..just dont plan on doing them all that often so i dont see the point, and id probably bodge it anwyays…

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So if you have the Evo you can just change the end caps?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeah if you have the newest evo version you just swap the end caps to 10mm….

i had cracked standard pro 2 shell, and they replaced it with a pro2 evo shell, but left the internals from my pro2 standard into the new evo shell mainly due to the fact id just had new bearings put in…

HermanShake
    Free Member

I have a 10mm bolt in kit on ebay, item 330627476855. It ends tonight, buy it now £18, £2 postage 🙂

Cheaper than UKbikestore and CRC unless you find another 2nd hand one.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Herman can I use the superstar 10mm skewer with that ?

Is there 2 versions of the kit? One with bolts and one for the skewer type?

HermanShake
    Free Member

EDIT: no, the bolt in is a complete unit, whereas the thru kit has a full length hollow for the 10mm axle. The bolt in has threaded ends for the bolts.

The adapters are the same, but the axle is slightly different. I guess the bolt in one has the additional axle material that the 10mm adds to the thru if that makes sense (both systems are the same amount of metal, one’s 2 parts and the other is 1).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro 2 (non Evo) rear hub conversion to 10mm help’ is closed to new replies.