Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 hub very stiff while peddling?
  • bike5rider
    Free Member

Hi Guys & Gals,

my pro 2 rear hub has got me scratching my head!
    with the wheel in situe I can spin it as in free wheeling nice and easy but try spinning it forward or peddling it is really hard and stiff!
    Any ideas?

cheers
    Gordon

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

freehub bearings seized?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

One or both of the free hub bearings have seized,or partially seized,you can sometimes get away with a good blast of gt85 (remove the outer seals on each bearing)and then a re-grease,although theres no substitute for replacing with new quality ones..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legend
    Free Member

I assume you’ve already checked your brake, mech, bb, etc to make sure it’s not one of them causing the problem?

bike5rider
    Free Member

Bike is new – nothing else rubbing or sticking – it has gone stiff pretty quick!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

it could be a snapped axle too 🙁

spooky_b329

If you take the chain off the front rings, (rest it on the bb shell) do the cranks spin freely?

bike5rider
    Free Member

Cranks spin fine

legend
    Free Member

how does the wheel spin with no chain on?

bike5rider
    Free Member

with or without chain free wheels no problem

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

That points to it being an issue with the freehub bearings – with the wheel out can you spin the freehub on the hub easily?

bike5rider
    Free Member

checked that with my other wheel shimano 525 hub one month old and the hope freewheel is slightly heavier to spin but not much

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

is the spindle turning with teh freehub?

bike5rider
    Free Member

Think I got it – the bearing in the freehub was seized – got it moving and the wheel worked fine – thanks for the help and ideas peeps – hub bearing rebuild on the cards!

bruneep

Bike is new – nothing else rubbing or sticking – it has gone stiff pretty quick!

New to you, or brand new? if its the latter get it sorted at shop assuming you bought it local.

bike5rider
    Free Member

Bike is new – wheel is not

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The bearings are easily available and there are good guides IIRC on the hope site to replacing them. You probably only need one bearing if you are skint but IMO its best to do all 3 in the freehub at once

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 hub very stiff while peddling?’ is closed to new replies.