Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 hub failure-the actual body of the hub split!
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

As it says the hub body has split from between two spoke drillings on the drive side across the full width of the hub body to the non drive sied flange. If I could post a picture of it I would but am too dumb!
    Many of you out there that have had similar problem? It burst under pedal pressure up rock incline over by the masts at Llandegla today.
    I have emailed Hope but will need a similar build/quality wheel and was considering Mavic Deetrak rear with 10mm QR axle.
    Opinions and suggestions welcome?

peteimpreza

Phone Hope on Monday you will get a quicker response.

This failure seems to be quite common. SFB (i think) had the same failure.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/today-was-a-really-good-friday

cheese@4p

Same happened to mine, LBS said they had seen a few others too.
    Hope replaced the hub body.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Suggsey
    Free Member

Comforting but not too much in view of the cost of the hubs in the first place. I see that forged hubs were mentioned in the previous thread-is there any hubs that are made that way?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I don't know of any cast hubs, I presume all hubs are machined from forged stock.

gab344
    Free Member

The majority of shimano hubs are forged AFAIK.

I would be interested to know how CK hubs are made, or Phil Wood for that matter, anyone?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

on a lathe from a piece of aluminium alloy bar or forged blank.

gab344
    Free Member

"on a lathe from a piece of aluminium alloy bar or forged blank"

This is exactly my question ❓ , the first being, (in theory) a much weaker than the second.

igm

Sheldon Brown gives a run down on who forges – just Shimano and Wood if I recall

epicyclo

I'm fairly sure the splitting problem has been fixed on Hope hubs.

Hope so, I'm running 4 of them 🙂

bigsi
    Free Member

It was mine that went on that thread which has been linked to and in similar circumstances by the sounds of it.

My LBS returned the broken hub to Hope and, even though i bought it in Oct 07 and it went in April this year so out of warranty, they replaced the freehub body and cassette body without quibble.

Hopefully they will sort yours quickly.

slowmedown
    Free Member

Yep, one of mine split, out of warranty time, phoned Hope, posted hub back to them, returned to me 4 days later…. and I live in France, they must have got it back in the post the same day they received it. The guy I talked to said that yes they did used to machine them from 'bar' but now they are machined from a forged billet. Oh yes I also asked for the body to be changed to a 36 hole instead of the 32 which was on there, no problem and all FOC.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Ah good here is hoping for a result then. Thanks for the input.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 hub failure-the actual body of the hub split!’ is closed to new replies.