Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 Evo rear hub. ..freewheeling causes chain slap…help please!
  • paulwatts
    Free Member

Hi…your assistance please folks ( not used this Forum before)…

I’m not very technical and chose Hope for fuss free riding.
    My LBS has just fitted this wheel onto another bike of mine. Its now on a SLX rear mech (new) and freewheeling above about 10mph causes the top part of the chain to oscillate / slap.
    I’ve never had this before on any of my (many!) bikes.

The wheel came off a bike l had ridden for l year with an XT rear mech no probs ever.

I always run 1×10. Advice please. THANK YOU!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is the freehub sticking? About the only cause I can think of. What did the LBS say?

Superficial
    Free Member

Sounds like the freehub bearings need replacing. The shop should be able to sort this out pretty easily.

Waderider
    Free Member

Pawls may have been greased rather than oiled. Or freehub seal may not be seated correctly. Alternatively, as mentioned above, bearing within freehub body may be goosed.

I appreciate this answer MAY not appear clear to you, but it is technically likely to be correct. I suggest finding a LBS with the appropriate knowledge.

I ‘Hope’ I am correct 😆 .

paulwatts
    Free Member

Thanks Guys.Very helpful.

Probably needs replacing cos l don’t do many miles?!
    BUT lve had cheaper bog standard hubs that have been no trouble at all!!
    Are Hope that good?
    Thanks.

paulwatts
    Free Member

Many thanks Waderider. I understand how that would make a difference. Cheers! 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is a strip down and reassemble guide on the hope site, really easy to do – and a video.

Hope hubs are great – never had anything other than grease in the pawls and no issue.

However a LBS should be able to pull it apart and have a look for you – ask them to show you then you will know.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I had this from new on one Hope hub. The freehub seal had been pinched on installation, leading to drag and exactly the behaviour you describe. I emailled Hope and they popped a new seal in the post.

The web guide should help or a good shop can easily check form you.

The hubs are excellent – durable and easy to rebuild/service with great customer service.

Lummox

I had similar when I didn’t install the seal properly, another strip and proper installation bobs your uncle and fannys your aunt.

trambler

Had the exact same thing on a wheel I hadn’t used for a while. Freehub bearings were the cause.

jedi

the rubber seal on my mavics caused exactly that last week. took it off and cleaned it and shazam! its all good

souldrummer
    Free Member

I had that on my Pro 2 rear hub. Took it to my LBS who stripped it down and regreased it…all sorted.

paulwatts
    Free Member

THANK YOU ALL! Much appreciate your help.
    Back to my LBS
    Must get more handy like you lads but l may do more harm than good !! 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 Evo rear hub. ..freewheeling causes chain slap…help please!’ is closed to new replies.