Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 EVO rear axle scored, need replacing?
  • Poopscoop

Im not having much luck with Hope these days….

Anyway, got a new to me secondhand Hope Hoops wheelset and decided to service both hubs.

Ive noticed the rear axle has got a pronounced score line on it where the drive side bearing sits. Easily enough to catch your finger nail in on one side but not as bad on the other.

(Its in exactly the same spot the old Pro 2 axles used to snap where the wall diameter of the tubing used to decrease.)

Not heard of any Evo Axles snapping (this is a 135 x 12 setup)but cant help think its a good idea to swap the axle out.

LBS is contacting Hope to check availability so I can purchase one. Waiting to hear back.

However, while im waiting I thought I would post a pic of the axle. Is this common on Evo hubs and nothing to be concerned about?

creamegg
    Free Member

looks fine to me

Poopscoop

Perhaps im just being paranoid over the issues with the older Pro 2 NON Evo hub and Maxle system.

Have you had similar scoring at that point on an Evo?

creamegg
    Free Member

yes an its a lot worse than that. Ive had the non-Evo axles fail twice but not the Evo versions (yet-it’s been over 2 years)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ride on soldier.

Poopscoop

Righto, cheers.

If your axle is still going strong with worse scoring I may well just refit it. I’ll see how much LBS quote for it though out of curiosity. Might just fit it in case and keep old one in spares box.

Poopscoop

Just occured to me whats doing it.

Its the 2mm steel spacer between the bearing and the freehub. So the steel is bound to eat into the alloy axle a bit over time I guess.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 EVO rear axle scored, need replacing?’ is closed to new replies.