Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope pro 2 evo freehub help please!
  • renton
    Free Member

Ive just come to take the cassette off my pro 2 evo hub and instead of coming off the free hub it has actually pulled the free hub off the hub body.

When I finally got the free hub off the cassette I came across this gouging on the free hub body ??

Is it normal or do I need to replace it ??

Also one of the pawls on the free hub wasn’t as springy as the other three and the spring underneath it moved around a lot? I take it the spring is done for?

If so am I ok just replacing one spring or am I better off replacing all four?

Thanks

Steve

Onzadog
    Free Member

Gouging is normal. Smooth the worst off with a file. The pawl springs come as a set so you might as well do them all. Newer springs are supposed to be a bit more durable than the original design.

boxelder

Hub on a hob – you are Dr Seuss and I claim my £5.
    P.s. What he said^^

robarnold
    Free Member

And this month’s “picture of a Pro 2 freehub that the cassette has eaten in to” award goes to Renton!

This has been happening to my Pro 2 hubs since my first set in 2006. I’ve replaced the pawl springs every so often and filed off the worst of the gouges. I’ve continued to use them and the universe is yet to implode so I think you’ll be fine 😀

renton
    Free Member

Cool !

Ive never seen it before on any other hub so found it a bit weird!

Onzadog
    Free Member

It happens to lots of alloy freehubs but I guess there’s a lot of hope hub users hear. American classic reinforce one of the splines with a little strip of steel. However, I think they got a patent on this so no one else can use the same trick. I’ve also read that you can straighten out a carpenters staple and push that into the gap for the same effect.

boxelder

carpenters staple

Sounds like a euphemism…….fnrr fnrr

eddie11
    Free Member

Newer novatec have a spline I think.

Apparently you can reduce but not stop hope gouging by tightening up cassette ring bastid tight. Anyone else heard this?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro 2 evo freehub help please!’ is closed to new replies.