Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hope pro 2 bearing problems
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Hi,

I had a problem sometime ago on my Pro 2 hub, where when you turned the crank backwards the cassette didn’t move freely and the slack in the chain wasn’t taken up – very annoying when stopping and then starting pedalling again.

Cheltenham Cycles kindly replaced a bearing (one pictured) but I’m noticing that since some wet rides the same is happening.

Anyone else having similar troubles? Any suggestions? Does it mean I need to replace the bearing again? could it be something else?

Cheers

B

Goz
    Free Member

Hi Barney, drop the wheel in on Tues, i’ll take a look and sort it …..no probs…..pete @ CC

njee20
    Free Member

Can’t argue with that!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Pete – Many thanks – not quite sure what is going on so the once over might reveal something.

Away on tuesday so I’ll drop it in on Wednesday if that’s OK.

Cheers.

twang
    Free Member

Had same bearing seize on mine and only a couple of months old. First hope hubs ive had…not impressed at all!

Anthony
    Free Member

The 2mm washer that sits on the axle between the freehub body and the hub bearing is definately in there?

Looking at the above pic, if you simply pull off the freehub body (very easyit just comes off with a pop) just have a look to see if the pawls are all in working order (there are 4 so you would notice if one is looking odd) and that the washer is in there on the axle. The freehub simply pushes back on, but just be careful to seat the rubber/plastic seal properly.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

The freehub is really difficult to get off. Tried but it won’t budge.

Anthony
    Free Member

The above picture shows it with the axle spacer removed. This is exactly how it needs to be to pull off the freehub.

It should come off with a sharp tug as all your doing is pulling the freehub seal out of it’s groove. If it won’t budge then something is definately wrong.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I went back and tried and it came off easily.

The bearing shown in the photo is seized – can’t get it to move at all. The bearing at the other end of the freehub is moving fine.

Can you get upgraded bearings for Pro2’s?

singlespeedstu

The QC on the Pro 2 does seem a bit hit and miss.

I’ve got a pair of Bulbs that just keep running and running without any problems at all.

my Pro 2’s on the other hand……

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Happened to mine after a service once. Fine when i took it in, chain bunching like hell just pushing it back home after. LBS on reinspection said one of the pawls was in backwards/wrongly, and must have been like that before or id done it. (even tho no problems before n 6 months of riding) I told them this was twaddle and they must have done something in service, and got blanked. Very careful on servicing now.

boxelder

The bearings are £8 a pair from BETD etc, and easy to change. Prising the seals off the bearing and packing more grease in, then giving the face you see in your pic a light coating helps. Easy enough to pull off the spacer once in a while, clean any crap out and regrease. I suspect stuff like muc-off and cleaners don’t help. Mine last longer than that however!

parkey
    Free Member

I have pro2 hubs. The rear hub is alway prone to water getting into the seals on the two drive side bearings either side of the freehub body. The seal on the freehub which stops debris getting to the pawls is not the best idea and it does fail to do its intended job.
    I recently mountain biked the Sarn Helen (8 days off road from Conwy to the Gower) and a brand new set of bearings were siezed at the end of the week. Not the best result on reliability but at least they can be serviced and replaced easily. I think the only answer is to pack the outer spacers with plenty of grease and ensure all the bearings have plenty of grease under the rubber seals. The hope videos are fine if the wheel is brand new but don't replicate most peoples scenario where the wheel hasn't been touched until goes wrong. If the freehub body is stuck, just tap the axle from the disc side and it should free it nicely.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro 2 bearing problems’ is closed to new replies.