• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by digga.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hope pro 2 bearing advise.
  • griffiths1000
    Free Member

Needing to replace the bearings in my front hub.

Ok i know generally you get what you pay for but do i go for the genuine Hope bearings £20 ish, the after market ebay £6 or the £15.99 ebay ceramic “upgrade”?

Any experience/ advise welcome. Thanks.

z1ppy

Genuine set on Merlin for £15 would be my choice or push the boat out and get Stainless Steel one from UK Bikestore for £17. ‘What’ bearing are a regular thread disagreement, personally I don’t rate cheap unbranded bearings, and it’s not like you go through lots of front wheel bearings.

bigrich

if you want to be a tightarse, run a branded bearing the disc brake side and a cheapo one on the non-brake side.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cheap bearings are cheap as the tolerancing is slacker. So you might get away with it, but there’s a fair chance they’ll wear out quicker than “quality” bearings

I get my bearings from kaesae at Katec.
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/KaTec-Bikes

Simon

Anyone know what the bearing code is for Pro2 front hubs?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

On the exploded drawing on the hope tech section. Same in the pro ii and evo

chipster

Front Pro 2 bearings are 61804 2RS, one each side.

wwaswas

Kaesae’s the man for bearings.

grenosteve
    Free Member

I’ve been running cheapo bearings in my front pro 2 (15mm maxle) and only get a few rides before they develop play.

Get the proper ones! About £16 from Stif.

Also, using the proper installation bushings makes installation a doddle (£10 from CRC).

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Also, using the proper installation bushings makes installation a doddle

Do you need a puller to get the old ones out or can they be pushed out with bushings?

Sandwich

No need for a puller. Lever the spacer in the centre of the hub to one side and using a drift tap out with a small hammer. Also try you local (not a national chain) bearing factor for some SKF or other branded bearings, you may be pleasantly surprised at the prices (or horrified).

Northwind

As far as fitting tools, if you’re a proper man and you own a load of sockets, they’re just as good as the Hope tools. You don’t need a seal driver either, it’s very easy to fit. But if you’re some sort of moisturised girlyman, and you don’t have a mancave well enough equipped to build an oil rig, then the hope tools aren’t too expensive.

ir_bandito – Member

Cheap bearings are cheap as the tolerancing is slacker. So you might get away with it, but there’s a fair chance they’ll wear out quicker than “quality” bearings

Not just that, they can be badly made, cheaper materials etc- I had some with brittle casings that chipped as I fitted them, and some that were rough from brand new. Decided it’s not worth the faff but mileage may vary o’course.

wwaswas

if you’re a proper man and you own a load of sockets, they’re just as good as the Hope tools

I’d say not – most sockets have a chamfered edge which tends to sit inside the outer bearing race when you use a socket that nominally has the same outside diameter as the bearing.

Northwind

The outside edge is a couple of mm across, I’ve never seen a socket that chamfered. At least not in these sizes. Not saying they don’t exist mind but none of mine come close

griffiths1000
    Free Member

As far as fitting tools, if you’re a proper man and you own a load of sockets, they’re just as good as the Hope tools

Yep got a shed load of sockets, work well for frame bearing so had kind of planned to use them on the hub as well.

digga
    Free Member

One thing I always do is (very carefully, with a sharp knife) prize the seals out of the new bearings and pack in some decent quality grease. Even the ‘genuine’ Hope ones have a pretty stingy smearing of clear, snot-like grease and adding more grease of a decent quality is worth spending a few minutes on IMHO.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro 2 bearing advise.’ is closed to new replies.