Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hope pro 2 and maxle
  • tony07
    Free Member

Im hopefully getting an ornage five to build up.

It has a maxle rear end and i think it may have the maxle lite and i have hope pro 2s.

I have read all the reports of it snapping the axle so replace it with betd bolt thru, but god theyre dear.

Ive spotted These on superstar which say not to replace maxle? but could they not thread straight into where the maxle goes?

If not is there any cheaper alternatives?

Thanks

oldnick

Is the Maxle 10mm or 12mm? My commie’s Maxle was 10mm, and on Pro II no problem. My Pivot is 142×12, still on Pro II (not evo) still no problems.

FYI I’m 13 stone, don’t mind 3′ drops and am a clumsy twunt on rocky descents 🙂

tony07
    Free Member

i believe its 12mm. I rang hope and they suggested changing from the maxle lite to a bolt through that is 12mm the whole length.

STATO
    Free Member

I think you mis-understood the problem nick, not all maxles are created equal.

I think the solution was to either…

Replace the Maxle-lite with a normal maxle
    Replace the hub with a different one
    Convert the hub to be an ‘evo’

Ive read you can do the last one easy enough, but dont know details, sorry.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Had a Maxle lite on my 5 , upgraded it to straight maxle run Pro II and Pro II Evos with no problems at all for 3 years,

Northwind

I’ve only ever had straight 12mm axles break my Pro 2s- though I’m sure I’d have done more with a tapered axle. It’s not a fix at all, just an improvement.

I’ll be swapping to Evo bits once I run out of axles.

tony07
    Free Member

Long term ill be hoping to upgrade parts to evo, just going to wait until freehub and bearings are done.

I was just wanting to know if there is a cheaper option to going for a straight through maxle?

Phil_H

Bog standard maxle on my five but it is 2 years old.
    It’s been fine with pro 2s (although I’ve probably put the hex on it now :D)

kendo954
    Free Member

iv broke 3 in about 4 years, hope gave me a couple of spare axles the last time, iv since changed frame and it has a normal maxle and not had a problem at all…. seems to be a lite problem

Ps its not a hope problem, the lite was snapping any 12 mm axle

tony07
    Free Member

Where stocks the original maxle? Can’t seem to find one.

Northwind

kendo954 – Member

Ps its not a hope problem, the lite was snapping any 12 mm axle

Nah, it’s a Hope problem. DT also broke with the tapered Lite, but nothing else that I’ve seen breaks with a solid axle. Certainly not so frequently, or so reliably that the manufacturers changed their design…

tony07
    Free Member

no suggestions as to where to get a standard maxle without the tapered’ness?

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Jeffus,

Dude, can you advise? I’m running hope P2 Evos on standard QR; am I correct that this combo can easily be upgraded to run those ‘more beefy’ 10/12mm (??) straight through QR jobs? If so, do you happen to have a ‘How To’ linky.

thks.

toppers3933
    Free Member

i hesitate to get involved in another axle debate but here goes,

yes you can convert a pro2 evo rear hub to be 12mm maxle. im lead to believe that the evos axle is stronger than the original and as such will work ok with a maxle lite.

tony07
    Free Member

Ye there’s no issue with the evos just need to change the end caps.

I wasn’t trying to start a debate, I know I need to change the maxle lite but I just wanted an up to date suggestion of what to replace it with

Northwind

Not all Maxle Lites are tapered, the full thickness ones offer more support to weak hubs than the original tapered ones.

Love Tubs – Member

Dude, can you advise? I’m running hope P2 Evos on standard QR; am I correct that this combo can easily be upgraded to run those ‘more beefy’ 10/12mm (??) straight through QR jobs? If so, do you happen to have a ‘How To’ linky.

Easy to convert the hubs but most frames won’t convert from QR to maxle- you can use either a bolt-through or bolt-in 10mm though. Bolt through is just a case of buying the endcaps and fitting them really- superstar’s 10mm axle is popular. bolt-in needs a new main axle for the hub so is a bit more involved to change.

toppers3933
    Free Member

i wasnt being funny in my use of the word debate. 🙂 you are asking perfectly reasonable questions.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro 2 and maxle’ is closed to new replies.