Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope pressfit BB bearing removal
  • mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Any tips before I make a hash of it?

A park PF bearing removal tool I imagine wouldn’t fit through the threaded tube in the Hope BB.

From the looks of it, I’m guessing there is little choice but to press/drive it out on the inner race. That scares me.

Advice welcomed. (or I might just take it to the LBS)

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Bueller… Bueller…. ?

somafunk

A bearing puller/slide hammer is the preferred option but i image you don’t own one so i guess your only option is to get a decent quality punch and gently tap on the lip of the inner race, tap it gently all around the inner lip and it will come out nice n’ square to the BB shell – easy enough to do.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Ah now, I was going to acquire a slide hammer anyway. Is it possible to get a purchase on the outer race with it?

Always scared of pushing/tapping out on an inner race as sometimes the bearing will explode. Did on my swing arm bearings anyway. 🙁

coatesy
    Free Member

I generally find they only explode if they’ve been toally neglected/really had your money’s worth out of them. Change them as soon as play develops, and they usually come out in one piece, ride them into the ground and it’s usually a nightmare(just ask the customer who had his money’s worth out of his Ultegra BB, and wore through his matching axle).

z1ppy

Hmm is that tool for the PF41 or PF46 BB or the STD bottom bracket? (Hope vid shows it being used on a STD BB.)
    As the installation tool for PF41 needs an adapter to work with PF46… I emailed Hope about servicing, and they just said “use a drift” to remove the old bearings and the installation tool to put them back in.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Ok. Careful use of a drift then…. 😮

Thanks for your input.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope pressfit BB bearing removal’ is closed to new replies.