Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hope pick'n'mix headsets
  • vinnyeh

What do you get with these, and what’s left out?
    Crown race, top cap, presumably there’s no hed doctor?

Don’t want to have to make a second order for the missing bits.

antares
    Free Member

I’m sure you get a crown race but no top cap and definitely no head doctor

Northwind

Yep- basically all the parts that are a headset, no bloody stupid hed doctor. And no top cap which is more of a shame.

vinnyeh

Thanks.

yes, not too keen on the hed doctor I have on one bike- so are all top caps created equal then (are they a standard :lol 🙂 – a quick google suggests the Hope one has the wrong size hole for a normal SFN bolt. Can I just pick one at random to fit?

benpinnick

Order a head doctor and a star fangled nut to get the hope look without the bung.

Northwind

@Vinnyeh, star nuts and such are as close to a standard as bikes have, they’re almost all M6 until you get into daft different-for-its-own-sake kit. So a Hope top cap works crand in an SFN, and is pretty light. Just don’t overtorque it!

vinnyeh

Looking at the comments on CRC it seems as if I’d need the Hope bolt if I bought the Hope top cap- the comments intimate that “standard” bolts won’t fit. FFS.

Northwind

It’s not so much incompatible, you could use a different bolt- it’ll just be butt ugly. Best used together.

andyl
    Free Member

aluminium hope bolt works fine with a SFN. I’ve never had a problem using them to pre-load headsets but some people do and break the aluminium bolts so It might be worth using a steel bolt first (or a normal top cap and steel bolt) and then swapping it out.

One problem with the hope top cap is the significant step inside so your SFN needs to be low enough, only time I have had a problem is an expander wedge for carbon forks that sits on top of the steerer so the hope top cap was no good.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hope pick'n'mix headsets’ is closed to new replies.