Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hope Mono Minis
  • deviant
    Free Member

I’ve picked up a set of these from a bike parts jumble, they are the older version with IS mounting.
    They’ve already got Hope braided lines fitted and although the pads look shot, they move back and forth evenly and freely by squeezing and releasing the brake levers.

They are terrible from a cosmetic point of view but seem to be in working order and were very cheap, I can’t see any fluid leaks either.
    What I’d like to know is how these brakes compare to more modern offerings before I go fitting them to a bike?…for reference I was using the new Deore-615s last year on my HT, I now have Saint 4-piston brakes on there and my FS runs the now superseded XT-785s bought from new.

Will I be disappointed with the Hopes?…my local LBS is a dealer so i was thinking about having them serviced before riding, new pads etc.

bencooper
    Free Member

They’re basically the old X2 – I’ve got a set on my Tinbred, they’ve worked faultlessly for over 10 years.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m not a fan – anything with the Mini lever is pretty poor. I’ve had nothing but bad experiences with the original versions of the later Mono versions. Power wise, the Deore’s will be better. Not as nice to look at and I prefer the shorter Shimano lever blade.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I had some and at the time they were great. Never as good as the older enduro 4’s I had. If I’m honest though this period of hope brakes were not their best. I think they went backwards a bit with all of the black and gold models. The 6 pots never worked as well as I thought they should and I was never overly happy with the power from the old m4.
    If I was you I would get new pads. Put a bit of silicon grease on the sliding edge of the Pistons and ride them until they die.
    They stepped their game back up with the newer x2 and m4 versions.

munrobiker
    Free Member

They’re a good example of how things have moved on- your Deores will be more powerful. They’ll stop you, and I’d use them on a second bike, but I’d not replace a modern Shimano brake with them.

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve still got a pair in use, basically on a par with my X2s but with less lever adjustment, with decent pads the power is pretty much the same, lever/body can feel a bit flexy when really hauling on but that’s my only criticism.

your Deores will initially have more grabby bite be more powerful

I’m not convinced by current Shimano brakes, they feel fine initially, and at low speeds, but I find they are all bite, and then at higher speeds or when you really need it the power seems lacking. Have tried a fair few pads and still not tamed that feeling, I much prefer a brake with less initial bite but a stronger and more progressive feel when needed.

Would be keen t try some current Saints though as I get the impression they may be more to my taste.

For ref, between the Wife and I we have, X2s, Mono Minis, M4s, Deore, SLX, XT, Hayes Strokers and BB7s in use so not as if I’ve got nothing to compare to.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

reliable, but super shit.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think they went backwards a bit with all of the black and gold models. The 6 pots never worked as well as I thought they should and I was never overly happy with the power from the old m4.

Yep, this aswell. The 6 pots were also shit for what they were. The levers feel nasty aswell.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I had some and at the time they were great. Never as good as the older enduro 4’s I had.

The old E4’s were immense – I was so dissapointed when I ‘upgraded’ to some M4’s. The Mono versions were no better at all.

The 6 pots were also shit for what they were. The levers feel nasty aswell.

Oh yes – a few friends had them thinking that they would deliver oodles of power. Ermmmm…

I’m not convinced by current Shimano brakes, they feel fine initially, and at low speeds, but I find they are all bite, and then at higher speeds or when you really need it the power seems lacking. Have tried a fair few pads and still not tamed that feeling, I much prefer a brake with less initial bite but a stronger and more progressive feel when needed.

Would be keen t try some current Saints though as I get the impression they may be more to my taste.

For ref, between the Wife and I we have, X2s, Mono Minis, M4s, Deore, SLX, XT, Hayes Strokers and BB7s in use so not as if I’ve got nothing to compare to.

My 785 XT’s when hot were a nightmare – the grabbiness went through the roof.

Personally, I like sharp brakes but I used to like Hayes brakes (Mags, HFX and Stroker Ace).

Flaperon

I loved my Mono Minis. Single finger braking and the only time I cooked them was racing in Dunkeld. And even then they still worked.

I don’t doubt performance would suffer if you weigh more than average.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I used to like Hayes brakes (HFX)

😀 yeh, super grabby with big rotors. Although I remember the levers had a weird ball and socket thing holding them together. It’d often end up popping out, sometimes mid run if you were unlucky.

the-muffin-man

These are my ‘current’ brakes!

Still working fine after many years and thousands of miles.

😀

kcal

hm. Mini on front of hardtail. Mostly works, well enough for me these days anyway.
    One of the first upgrades I executed on the bike (M2).

Can’t put a disc brake on rear as no mount (and an adaptor seems like too much faff).

beaker

I used Mono Minis for many years and I was always happy with them. I use SLX now and they are much, much better.

jamj1974

Had some between 2007 and 2009. We’re reliable – needed no bleeding in that time. Lever feel was consistent and even when I bled them a year after I sold them to a mate – the fluid was clean. Power was a disappointment, worse than the original Mini’s I had on an earlier bike. Even with a 203 rotor the front was poor. Multiple sets of pads and two rotors and it was never any good.

mindmap3
    Free Member

yeh, super grabby with big rotors. Although I remember the levers had a weird ball and socket thing holding them together. It’d often end up popping out, sometimes mid run if you were unlucky.

Yup, mi e were great in Morzine and one of the few brakes in our group with no issues….not even the ball select thing popping out. Cheap too as most hated them.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Try them out? You may be surprised (one way or the other)
    My mate’s ancient original one’s are still spot on.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“but I’d not replace a modern Shimano brake with them”

each to their own – i would in a heart beat.

CHB

As a chunky 14+ stone bloke who often needs decelerating, I have never struggled with my 2002 vintage Hope Mini brakes (I have monos on my other bike from 2006).

xiphon
    Free Member

All depends on what the brakes have to stop, and how you use your brakes 😉

For an XC/trail centre/general bike, I would happily use a pair.

djtom
    Free Member

They’re perfectly adequate but nowhere near as powerful as the current crop of Shimano brakes. Having said that, they’re still fitted to my commuter bike – as I said, adequate!

trail_rat
    Free Member

powerful shimano brakes ime = stabby hateful things.

i like the progressive feel of the hopes it means i dont do a trail centre special of skidding into every corner.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Had mini’s years ago. Bought some cheapo Deore brakes for the second bike and was that impressed I sold the Mini’s and got another set of Deores.

Was it just mine or do all mini’s howl

mindmap3
    Free Member

i like the progressive feel of the hopes it means i dont do a trail centre special of skidding into every corner.

Never had that issue on any of my Shimano brakes and I’ve had a fair few (my XT’s wold get a bit grabby when hot at places like Antur but fine for trail riding).

User error if you can’t modulate them? 😉

Andy-R

I’ve got a set of Minis on my singlespeed and really like them, especially at this time of year on greasy, rooty, steep stuff when braking feel is at a premium rather than outright power. These are original pre-mono Minis, of course, and are donkey’s years old.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m not convinced by current Shimano brakes, they feel fine initially, and at low speeds, but I find they are all bite, and then at higher speeds or when you really need it the power seems lacking

THIS

depends what you want

Hopes plus us they can be serviced and they have good fee;/modulation

SHimano well they are cheap and initially powerful if they dont go spongy

Both will be ok and both will have weaknesses.
    If i had Hope I would use them and if I had to buy and I was skint I would buy Shimano

FOr balance I do use both and if i had to pick one lot it would be the Hope as they actually work every time I pull them and dont need to be pumped.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hope Mono Minis’ is closed to new replies.