Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Hope Mono Mini – no power on rear brake
  • MinishMan
    Free Member

Righteo, got an Orange 5 (2005 ed.) off ebay about a month ago, but brakes (hope mono minis) front and rear were full of crap and not ridable – despite what seller claimed!

Anyway, I did learn a great deal about hydraulic disc brakes as I’ve never had any before – I got pistons out front a rear, cleaned it all up, put em back and bled brakes. Front one is awsome – it alone is as powerful as my old V-brakes.

Rear one just sucks – just can’t stop me at all.

I think rotor is very, very slightly warped, because it rubs a bit once every revolution, but when I look side onto the wheel it’s barely noticable.

I have put new pads on the front brake becuase they were quite worn, but I haven’t on the rear – but the pads at the moment look like they’ve got loads of life left in them. I’ve ordered some new ones so I will be trying a pad replacement when they arrive (should be tomorrow).

Basically – what would be causing such a loss of power? I’ve played with shims to try and line up caliper better, and it only rubs that little bit where disc is warped and doesn’t look like its flexing the disc when I brake.

It does squeal if I hit the lever hard, and when I press the lever there’s a kind of metallic *ting* sound that I don’t get on the front brakes.

Please help 🙂

Alex

P.S. If I was going to replace the rotor, are all rotors the same? Becuase Hope’s seem to be about a fiver more than avids.

alcolepone
    Free Member

Did you get any progress on this problem, as mine aren’t as powerful as i’d like

bunnerscj
    Free Member

contaminated pads ?
    Air in the hose ?
    Leaking seals ?

Tried any of those, usual suspect I have to say is Pads that have been contaminated at some point with brake fluid.

Try them new pads and see how it goes, if its no better, take them out to stop contamination and look at air / seals

sharkbait
    Free Member

You could rebuild the lever – I had the same on one of my brakes and new seals in the lever made a big difference.

Speshpaul

As bunners says
    Does the lever feel solid like the front one/
    1st stop for me would contaminated pads, Take them out give the a rub on some flat sandpaper just to take the surface off. then wash the rotor down with meths, thinners, (not white spirit) or washing up liquid. This won’t fix problem (although it will fix the rotor) but if you get any improvement you know the pads are US.

Fit the spot where teh rotor runs and give it a little tweak with your fingers, it may return to its out of true shape the 1st time it gets hot, but theres a good chance it won’t.
    cheers
    paul

if you get stuck email me

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Hope Mono Mini – no power on rear brake’ is closed to new replies.