Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • hope mono mini
  • mmb
    Free Member

how good are they? are they reliable? do they use one or two pistons for braking? thinking of getting some but i’m unsure as to whether or not they’ll be powerful enough.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

how good are they?

Depends what you use them for. They aren’t particularly powerful, but that’s not really what they’re about. If you rely on handfuls of brake, go for something like the M4.

are they reliable?

They’ll generally stand up to quite a bit of abuse. Hydraulic brakes are so simple to keep in good order that you’ll usually have nobody but yourself to blame if they break down. Hopes are probably the easiest brakes to service as every single small part if easily available. Bleeding doesn’t require special gear: an 8mm spanner and a short length of tube will do. Later models need a T10 Torx tool to remove the MC cap.

do they use one or two pistons for braking?

Two. The ‘Mono’ refers to the single piece of aluminium that the caliper is made from, as opposed to most calipers, which are two halves bolted together.

mmb
    Free Member

how do they compare to a shimano lx/xt m585 type of brake?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

I use them on a 29er with a 180mm on the front and a 160mm on the back.
    I’ve had them smelling a bit hot coming down off the Brecon Beacons, but they didn’t fade.
    I’ve just bought another 29er which came with Mini Mono brakes, 160mm front and 140mm rear.
    From my experience with it so far, I’d be quite happy to take it to the Malverns or Long Mynd without worrying about having enough brake force available.

The only problems I have had was a sticking piston. I replaced the old aluminium pistons with phenolic ones and it’s been fine since.

mmb
    Free Member

hmmm i don’t anyone who has used both you see, i currently use the shimano lx m585 and xt which are effectively the same brake and would say that although they’re good i wouldn’t want to go any weaker.

ragleyrider
    Free Member

totally useless unless you are troddling around and not doing anything steep.
    Go for the formula brakes if i was you, they win everything when in test in MBUK and MBR, and i am talking from experience too mate 😆

paulosoxo
    Free Member

easily as good as M585’s/Formula Oro’s

gee
    Free Member

Hi

I have 4 sets on various bikes. Very durable, easy to service and I’ve never wished for more power. Then again – I race xc and probably fit into the ‘trail’ category at weekends…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They are not really comparable to shimano brakes – you get what you pay for. Foe example shimano pads are retained with a split pin, hopes witha machined satinless steel [pic and circlip

I like the fact all spares are available and as I can lock either wheel with one finger at speed with any of my bikes equipped with them I know if they are lacking in power something is wrong.

They do have a much softer lever feel than some brakes – thats all about preference if you want it or not

If you want cheap effective disposable get shimano, if you want a brake that will never need replacing get hope. I removed new shimano brakes off my bike to fit second hand minis.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘hope mono mini’ is closed to new replies.