Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hope Mini pistons seized onto disc
  • spacemonkey

Decided to spring clean one of my bikes this afternoon only to take it for a spin and have the front pistons clamp on after a few metres. I remember this happening last year but don’t recall how I resolved it (temporarily it seems now).

All I did to the brakes beforehand was scuff up the pads and stick some cleaner on the discs.

Any ideas? Ta

spacemonkey

Sorted. Bit of cooling requiring and job done. Now have to figure out why it’s been sticking.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s probably either knackered seals on the pistons, or an accumulation of brake dust or the phenolic pistons crumbling (a la Avid Juicys) but the latter is unlikely.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alibongo001

Apparently some silicone lube on them (with no brake pads in) might help them become unstuck until you can do a proper job on them later?

-So a guy from Hope told me!

khani
    Free Member

Dot brake fluid absorbs moisture over time, when they warm the fluid expands and locks the brake on, that’s probably why they were ok when they cooled down, a quick fix is to open the bleed nipple to let out the excess fluid but it’ll need a bleed to sort it out properly

spacemonkey

Bu88er, was hoping a bleed wasn’t necessary. Will check the seals etc.

Cheers chaps

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hope Mini pistons seized onto disc’ is closed to new replies.