Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hope M4/V2s – your thoughts?
  • pintofbestbitter
    Free Member

Bit disappointed with what’s around in the FR/DH brake market these days. Friends have had poor experiences with XT, Saint, Code etc etc. My new Elixrs feel terrible – bite point changes (due to pump up) & no power.

What are people’s experiences with the powerful Hope brakes? I’ve always bought Hope hubs due to the amazing after-sales, but steered clear of the brakes, perhaps incorrectly? They do seem a fair few quid, but if they’re powerful & last a million years…?

ianpinder
    Free Member

From a hope fan…. I’ve owned both sets, and still own the v2s

Hope tech v2s, great power, modulation, feel, heat resistance (with vented rotor)

Hope tech m4, great modulation, lever feel, ok heat resistance, lacking in ultimate power.

Buy xtr trail, nearly the same power as the v2’s but half the weight.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of M4s just shy of their 7th birthday and they still feel fantastic. They’ve required only bleeding and pad changes in all this time. Can’t fault ’em.

I have a two year old pair of M4s on my other bike, which have required additional bleeding but otherwise have been fine…however the lever shape is a little svelte for my shovel sized hands. This isn’t an insurmountable problem though, aftermarket levers are available.

stevede
    Free Member

I own tech v2’s and mono m4’s and rate them both but prefer the v2’s, great modulation and power without being grabby, keep your eye out 2nd hand, picked mine up for £60 each including floating rotors! Massive plus is the availability of spares, i think shimano are very poor aftermarket with their brakes with regards to serviceability and spares.

ianpinder
    Free Member

my mono m4s were great, however, you can not buy them anymore…. hence ignore the two posts above (sorry) unless buying a pair second hand.

The tech m4s are no so great power wise.

pintofbestbitter
    Free Member

some good points.

Have heard about greatness of XTR – not sure I can face £££ for pads & Shimano’s aftermarket care.

hmmmm.

ridingscared
    Free Member

Hope brakes are like Italian sportscars- if you end up with the set made on friday afternoon they will frustrate the hell out of you. I had a set of V2’s and despite servicing (by a proper bike shop)still experienced the variable bite point issue, which is un-nerving in the UK but absolutely terrifying in Morzine. I personally didn’t feel they were worth the money and sold them.

ianpinder
    Free Member

saying that, i’m so tempted by the special edition tech m4s in black and green…….

Onzadog
    Free Member

I wanted some tech m4 brakes but then looked at the weight difference and heard some people comment on the power. I now fancy some tech v2 (not really any heavier than m4). The problem is, my ten year old e4 brakes still work perfectly.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hope M4/V2s – your thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.