Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope M4 rubbing/loss of power
  • benmotogp46
    Free Member

I’ve had my five for a few months now and when the m4’s were bedded in, they felt very smooth and powerful – enough to pull an endo/stoppie without too much effort.

I did make the mistake of getting a small amount of GT85 on the rear disc which took a good 2 hours of riding to get back to normal.

Over the last few rides, the brakes just don’t feel as poewrful as they once were or should be. Should I look at maybe changing the pads? Just seems a little too soon to me.

Also the front calliper is rubbing very slightly which prevents the wheels from spinning freely for a decent amount of time. I have tried ajusting this by loosening the bolts and shifting it across to align it beter with the disc but it seems to be over as far as it will go. Seems a bit strange to me?

Any advice appreciated.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Set up the caliper as in the hope video – you need the caliper central on the disc then centralise the pads.

As for the other issues – sounds like contaminated pads. can sometimes be recovered by getting them hot in a flame or the oven – or try rubbing them down on sandpaper and then bedding in again. Possibly glazed pads from a lot of light use as well

DarrenH

Yep , change the rear pads and give the disc rotor a bloody good scrub up with disc brake cleaner.
    For the front- to sort mine out, I loosened the caliper bolts so it can move freely,
    held the brake lever on whilst tightening the caliper bolts back up.
    It can be a bit hit and miss though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Which lever? The tech lever cam can form a flat spot which may be the cause of your troubles. It’s why the EVO lever now has a roller. As for caliper alignment, you don’t do hope the same way as avids. Ignore pads and pistons, centre the caliper over the rotor. I even use feeler gauges to get it cock on. Then once that’s set, you can balance the pistons. Not doing it this way is why a number of people have slated what is an excellent brake. Check the hope web site for set up vids.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Cheers Guys,
    I shall put your tips to good use. (They’re ’12 EVO’S by the way).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

DarrenH – Member

Y
    For the front- to sort mine out, I loosened the caliper bolts so it can move freely,
    held the brake lever on whilst tightening the caliper bolts back up.
    It can be a bit hit and miss though.

This is not the right way to centralise a brake – follow the vids
    http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG355

DarrenH

How can mbuk be wrong?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if mbuk is wrong then I just lost a fiver on where a bears craps

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope M4 rubbing/loss of power’ is closed to new replies.