Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hope M4 quandary
  • ajantom

Just purchased some lovely condition ‘old’ Hope M4s. All working as they should be, etc…………..but they have the 90 deg connector as shown below (part 14) and the way the disc mount is on my frame they just won’t fit 😡 so I need to get a straight connector.

Are these available, and if so, what size – 5mm/6mm? Been looking online, and there seems to be a multitude of options, and I’m getting confused!

Cheers.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Old school ones like that are all 6mm I believe. If you want to save a buck, you can just fit the hose on upside down, with the 90deg part at the lever as it’s the same fitting…

ajantom

Unfortunately they have the Pro levers on, which use a 90 degree fitting at the lever too! Otherwise I’d have been right on that!

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you’ve got pro levers then you have e4 brakes rather than m4 not that it makes any difference. First off, you can swap the connector position for the bleed nipple is that helps. Back the shroud nut off and have a look at the olive. If there’s a groove on it, it’s 5mm kit you need but for e4 my money is on it being 6mm kit. Just order a 6mm inline hose connector kit from a hope dealer.

coatesy
    Free Member

You won’t actually need the shroud or washer from the above kit as you’ve already got those anyway.Pretty sure we’ve got the connectors seperately in the workshop at Sunset, could do you one for £4 posted if we have.

ajantom

Cheers for the help guys 😀

Managed to bodge it for today’s ride, but will order one of the straight connectors in the near future. I’ll be in Exeter next week, I guess one of the 3 decent bike shops will have the part in stock. If not, I’ll email you coatsey.

xiphon
    Free Member

When you come to service the callipers, strip them down (all seals out) and put them through the dish washer. Come out sparkly and clean….

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

What’s wrong with it as it is?
    It’s on a retro style soft tail by the look of it, so keep it original spec to suit the bike.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Looks fine as it is.

(smug) I was right about them being e4 brakes (/smug)

ajantom

Works ok as is – but the hose guide is on the top of the seat-stay. So my OCDish nature means that I hate the idea of zip-tying it to the underside!

@Onzadog – yep, spot on with them being E4s. Was the only difference between E4s & M4s the levers? The actual calipers look identical.

@Xiphon – the bloke I bought them off had done a full strip, clean, new-seals, bleed, new sintered pads & new Goodridge hoses. Added to the fact they seem almost brand new anyway, they look lovely 8) Very in keeping with the retroish feel of the bike too…..

Onzadog
    Free Member

The E4 has 4 identical pistons per caliper. The M4 has different sized pistons front and rear to give a leading edge effect.

Interestingly, the new M4 has gone back to same size pistons.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hope M4 quandary’ is closed to new replies.