Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • hope m4 poor braking – I dropped a bollox
  • sefton
    Free Member

we’ll my brakes felt like they needed an overhaul – so I cleaned everything up – worked free the sticking pistons and rebleed the system.

however it made things much worse I couldn’t lock the wheels.

After scrubbing the discs with sand paper (out on a ride) things improved. (I must have got the fluid everywhere)

but a few days later I figured I’d used old used brake fluid (from a car) I had written on the bottle used but it had rubbed off.

hopefully a re flush with new fluid will do the job!

jedi

i got fluid on my pads the other week so cooked the pads for a min on my stove at herts to burn the fluid off. they now work a treat again

P20

I’ve now got a set of contaminated pads that i stick in when i bleed brakes just in case. Then simply remove them and clean the whole thing up before putting the pads back in. It then doesn’t matter if the pads get wet

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

P20’s solution +1

An alternative to Jedi’s solution is to drag them down a very big road hill untill they get realllllly hot.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I take pads out and use an avid bleed block, they also fit my hayes stroker trail calipers.

PJM1974
    Free Member

This has happened quite a few times to me!

+1 for baking the pads in an oven for a while as this seems to make them sweat out the fluid. Also, gently braking whilst hooning down a hill repeatedly works well too.

While baking the pads, it’s often a good idea to wipe the rotors down with either an alcohol wipe or meths at a push.

sugdenr
    Free Member

After scrubbing the discs with sand paper

uhmmm, you did scrub the PADS not the disks right?

hopefully a re flush with new fluid will do the job!

To clear the crappy fluid yes should be ok.

Why do you keep old contaminated brake fluid anyway?

sefton
    Free Member

I sanded both the pads and discs – to be honest sanding the contaminated pads did’nt work – but sanding the discs helped loads – I’ve not cleaned them with degreaser.

why do I keep old fluid….not sure mate.haha

michaelbowden

I take pads out and use an avid bleed block, they also fit my hayes stroker trail calipers

And Hope M4’s

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘hope m4 poor braking – I dropped a bollox’ is closed to new replies.