Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hope M4 lever sticking in
  • sefton
    Free Member

my hope m4 brake lever keeps staying in. once I apply the brakes and remove the pressure on the lever it stays in until I press the lever a few more times then it pops out again.

I’ve remove the lever & cleaned all the gunk off then bleed the system. but the problems still there.

any advice?

large418
    Free Member

sounds like a seal problem in the lever (master cylinder). You can get new seal kits, but I found it a right pain getting the main pushrod seal back in the cylinder (the lip seal has to go past a step in the bore). Local bike shop helped out for nothing

coatesy
    Free Member

Could be the lever pivot bolt tightened a little too much, or as mentioned above, a seal sticking/swollen. Have you been using spray lube around the lever pivot, some are mineral based and will attack the seals, if so then a new seal kit and extremely thorough cleaning will be required.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I had something very similar where the lever would not return. The brake itself still worked ok but the lever was floppy until the biting point of the brake.

One of these seal kits should do the job.

Here’s a thread from a while back with all the stw knowledge you will need.

Once you have dismanteled the lever this thread will come in handy. Also replace the little spring inside the lever, the part number is HBSP110.

Its not a hard job and the lever will fell like new after.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

could be the overtightened lever pivot. I found the one master cylinder I rebuilt easy to do. Just get the seals in the right way round.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I had the same on my Mini’s and on stripdown I found the piston had corroded inside the lever

Bloody piston cost me £7 well miffedd off after a mere 8 years use

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Bloody piston cost me £7 well miffedd off after a mere 8 years use

That’s the thing with hope’s, high maintenance costs. 😉 I replaced all the lever internals and the caliper pistons and seals after 6 years of abuse and the things are as good as new.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hope M4 lever sticking in’ is closed to new replies.