Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Hope (less) PRO II Hubs
  • FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Love Hope hubs on all my bikes, only had issues with other brands (American)in the last 10 years.

The clicky clicks are nice and loud too

nicholas_yiu

One of my rear Hope hubs cracked at the flange after 4 years as well. Noticed when I was changing rims. Sent just the shell and they sent back a new one FOC.

When I get my pay rise, my CX bike will get hope hubs as well.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

What I really want to know is WHY this is happening, is it poor quality source material? an inherent design flaw (flange too thin?)? something about the way they are machined? treated afterwards?

My (former) professional opinion; stress corrosion cracking.

T666DOM

SP hubs FTW

zilog6128

Hope hubs on 2 MTBs and 1 CX bike, 6k miles in the last 2 years, no probs to report so far. Would buy again.

Andy

Likewise 4 pairs of Hope Hoops with no problems. Also happy if I do have problems Hope will sort it for me, so for the complete package (Purchase > Maintenance > Warranty), like the brakes they are unbeatable IMO.

And also made in the UK which matters to me 8)

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Considering for a moment that Hope produce getting on 50,000 hubs a year we are still actually talking about a small number of failures, whatever the cause. Some stuff just breaks even if well engineered and manufactured.

fibre
    Free Member

I’ve not had any issues with the 10 plus Hope Hubs I’ve had over the years, XC, Bulb or Pro2. The Bulbs were used for about 5 years (and second hand). My oldest Pro 2 are about 6 years old and still fine.

I had a floating rotor with a tiny bit of play, a seat clamp crack and headset cup with a tiny crack, all were sorted without any issues. I’ve probably had about 30-40 Hope components over the years so I don’t think 3 problems is bad going, the rotor is the only one that definitely wasn’t caused by me in any way.

Always worth contacting them if you have any issues.

jimijames
    Free Member

[What I really want to know is WHY this is happening, is it poor quality source material? an inherent design flaw (flange too thin?)? something about the way they are machined? treated afterwards

My (former) professional opinion; stress corrosion cracking.
    ]

If you look at the photos you can see the the flange is corroding from the outside, in several areas & on both hubs. I don’t think this is stress corrosion cracking. I would guess poor material/finishing. At first I thought it may be due to dissimilar metal galvanic corrosion between the steel spokes and the alloy hub but this is not the case as you can see in the photo (it’s corroding from the outside). I agree with the stress cracking in way of the fractures in the rotor bolt housings but should this really be happening on a hub from this ‘quality’ manufacturer? Replacement is not a cure. These hubs should not be failing like this.

Pigface
    Free Member

I have got a Pro II hub that the flange failed on. Phoned Hope and to be honest they sounded like they couldn’t care less on the phone. Haven’t bothered sending it back just determined not to buy Hope in the future.

jimijames
    Free Member

Pigface,

Did it fail in a similar way to my front hub in the photo, corroding from the outside of the flange?

Pigface
    Free Member

jimijames yes pretty much the same but just one flange.

fivespot
    Free Member

I am on my 5th set of Hope Hoops, and although I have had none of those issues. When I took a rear wheel to Dave Garland (Stendec boss and Danny Hart mechanic) which was over 2 years old and untouched, but due to a hard landing, was a bit out of true. He was surprised at how tight the spoke tension was. To the point that he expected the hub to give up at some point 😯 .

Conan257
    Free Member

Big hope fan – never had any failures on anything of theirs I’ve had (DH to XC over the past 15 years…)

What I’d like to know, is why you have regular consistant wear on the hub… I’ve highlighted 3 areas which appear to have wear that is roughly symmetrical on both sides of the hub (not withstanding the area that has actually failed) I have no idea what would cause wear like this, it seems as though you’ve been putting something through there and it’s rubbed on the hub…

You also have large areas of rub (to the extent where at least 1mm of material is missing, in my opinion) on at least 1 of the rotor mounts… What are you doing with your wheels????

takisawa2

Not much of a rad on those spoke hole shoulders. That’s not going to help. Material around them will be under all sorts of stresses & strains. They need to chamfer them.

I’ve never had an issue with the few sets I’ve had, but I’ve never kept them very long.
    I use Surly Singlespeed hubs, & a White Ind freewheel. They just go on & on. Good kit.

jimijames
    Free Member

Conan,
    I’ve been doing nothing unusual with the hub whatsoever. That’s why I put this post up in the first place. The material was flaking away, literally between my fingers. The 1mm of material missing from the rotor bolt housing has simply disintegrated, same as the rest of the hub.

jimijames
    Free Member

Does anyone have an opinion on Nukeproof Generator hubs ‘A tough but lightweight 7075-series aluminium main hub body features cold- forged construction for optimum strength and fatigue resistance while extensive CNC machining shaves excess weight without compromising structural integrity’.
    ???

smiff
    Free Member

my guess for the approx. symmetry would be that’s where liquid is running when bike is stored? i.e. these points were facing down whilst hub was wet with something corrosive. or it could instead be seams of weakness in the stock metal? not sure how bars are formed so can’t say if plausible. i’ve had the magnesium dropouts on a pair of forks corrode a bit like this after salty road rides. never seen it on alu but presumably possible also.

it def. looks like the spoke hole failure is a result of metal corrosion/weakness/whatever, rather than other way around. anyone seen similar on other brands? this is kind of reassuring to me because it means if your hub looks ok, it probably won’t fail (except for the guy with the cracked right through hub, that looks like more like a stress/fatigue failure and is more worrying).

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Hope (less) PRO II Hubs’ is closed to new replies.