Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Hope (less) PRO II Hubs
  • jimijames
    Free Member

Seems like a common problem. Pro II front hub failed at the flange with 2 spokes pulling it apart. It was corroding from the outside-in and eventually failed. Checked the rear and it’s doing the same thing, the actual material is flaking away. Also on replacing the front hub (another Pro II) I noticed 4 of the 6 bolt holes that take the rotor have fractures all the way through. Wonder what would have happened if these had failed before the flange?
    Question: Have hope improved the construction/manufacture of their hubs in the last few years? My wheels were custom build Mavic 729’s about 4 years old.

druidh
    Free Member

Given the number of Pro 2 users on here it seems remarkably rare.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I have several Pro IIs, mine are all perfect and this is the first I’ve heard of this.

Why not just drop them a line and see what they have to say?

Hope’s aftersales is pretty legendary, I’d be confident they’ll see you right.

portlyone

Mine haven’t failed but I might give them a little check tonight!

c_klein87

Mine did, but it had done 4,000miles and the wheel wasn’t that true, sent back to Hope and got it back as good as new within a few days, unfortunately stuff breaks, probably better to just talk to them than and they will help you out

jimijames
    Free Member

How can I put photos on here?

falkirk-mark

Do you use muc off, I am sure I have seen threads about muc off not being too good on aluminium

micky
    Free Member

Been using hope hubs for years and never had this problem.

mattmbk
    Free Member

I had the same problem with a Hope Hoop after 2 years of hard use, returned wheel to Hope who replaced the broken hub FOC, didn’t even charge for postage. Been fine since.

T1000
    Free Member

have 3 set of these of varying ages 1 broke in exactly the same place (no corrosion though)… 4 yrs old Hope replaced with no hassle…. have had other manufaturers hubs fail ( and their wareentee departments didn’t want to know…….stuff breaks its how they respond when things go wrong thats important….

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve got a few sets of Pro IIs, varying from a couple of monhts old to one of the first ones released, all been fine so far…and only seen a couple of broken ones in the flesh over the years.

But…I have heard some reports on here of a few people who have had (in some cases multiple times) hubs with cracked flanges so possibly a bad batch?

Having said that corrosion would be odd, unless there was a problem with the anodizing or some external corrosive agent an alu hub shell shouldn’t just corrode to the degree it cracks and fails.

Suggest you contact Hope, I’m sure they’ll sort it out and maybe recognise if there were any known issues around the time yours were manufactured.

jimijames
    Free Member

[/url]
    Fail 1 by jimijames7, on Flickr[/img]

jimijames
    Free Member

[/url]
    Fail 3 by jimijames7, on Flickr[/img]

jimijames
    Free Member

[/url]
    Fail 3 by jimijames7, on Flickr[/img]

Bregante

Fail 1 by jimijames7, on Flickr

Fail 3 by jimijames7, on Flickr
    🙂

jimijames
    Free Member

You can see the fractures in the last photo.
    I will contact Hope, maybe they were M/C’d from duff material.

jimijames
    Free Member

[/url]
    Fail 2 by jimijames7, on Flickr[/img]

MartynS

Mine did this..

Hope fixed it no question, it was 18 monthss old No problem with the replacement (untill it got nicked..)

Turned it round really quickly for me to. Really happy with how hope delt with it.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 go like MartynS. I think they are a bit rubbish.

jimijames
    Free Member

I’ll get in touch with them n see what they say. I’ve already replaced it though at a cost of £105 with new spokes & build

jimijames
    Free Member

[/url]
    Hope Pro II Rear Fail by jimijames7, on Flickr[/img]This is the rear doing the same thing.

honourablegeorge

I’ve had that, and a friend had the same. Two out of probably a dozen hope hubs between us.

smiff
    Free Member

ooh dear. looks like bad batch(es) of alloy there. blame their metal supplier i guess, or the person at Hope doing the sourcing..

will check mine, but don’t expect any trouble, this has to be rare with the number of hope hubs in use by STWers?

oliwb
    Free Member

To give another differing view of Hope’s ‘legendary’ aftersales service. I had a Hope QR skewer that kept going loose when descending (it was mated to Fox 32’s and a hope bulb hub). Hope were beyond useless at helping – even when I showed photos of the steel insert pulling away from the alloy nut. I ditched them in the end and bought crank brothers – no way in hell I’ll buy anything from Hope ever again…..

Northwind

It does happen, this, but it’s hardly common- there’s billions of Pro 2 hubs out there. It’s not, as some people want to believe, “a bad batch”- it’s been happening for years.

But they’ll fix it, and it’ll be fine after. It’s what Hope are best at.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mrs PP had the flange crack off on her front Pro 2 and the lip under which the adaptor retaining circlip fits cracked off on mine.

But, of course, I’m paranoid and Pro 2s are faultless…..

Yeah. Right. I’d seriously rather have Deore 525s. I’ve got a no name 20mm hub waiting for when my front (and last) Pro 2 packs up. That’s when, not if.
    The old XC is a better hub.

HermanShake
    Free Member

😯

OP I Hope they sort you out.

IGMC.

smiff
    Free Member

Northwind, you don’t think it’s a bad piece of metal? why would both the flanges and disc mounts go on the same hub? happening over years does not stop it being bad batches, it just points to a long running QC problem at the source. it’s not bad machining at Hope is it? corrosion is possible too but not sure how likely.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It does happen, this, but it’s hardly common- there’s billions of Pro 2 hubs out there. It’s not, as some people want to believe, “a bad batch”- it’s been happening for years.

But they’ll fix it, and it’ll be fine after. It’s what Hope are best at.

But that’s the crux of it,isn’t it?
    It’s been happening for years. And it’s STILL happening.
    This is a premium product that’s been in production long enough to get it fixed. Yeas the customer service is good, I know it is (I’ve used it often enough) but that customer service is a replacement for development and QC.
    For that money, I expect hubs to last. THE ONLY hubs I’ve ever broken are Hope. Broken as in unridable once.

I’ve had Suntour, Sachs, DT, countless Shimano, no name crappy things etc and they just go on and on. I’ve got a front Hope XC I’ve had since 2005 as well, but I wouldn’t buy a new Hope hub for love nor money any more. I just don’t trust them.

Andy

Didnt realise you felt so strongly about ProII’s Pete…. 😉

Northwind

smiff – Member

Northwind, you don’t think it’s a bad piece of metal?

Wouldn’t want to judge, though it seems the most likely cause- mass produced part with irregular failures, after all.

But like PeterPoddy says, it’s something that Pro 2s do, and it’s been happening for as long as there’s been pro 2s, and it’s still happening with the latest Pro 2s- so definately not “a bad batch”. (TBH, it never is, is it?)

It’s like the maxle axles- the aftersales is decent to fix it when it goes wrong, but that’s not the same as fixing the fault. Like I say- that’s what Hope do best.

bikeind
    Free Member

fantastic hubs indeed no problems whatsoever in any of mine over the years..

amedias
    Free Member

What I really want to know is WHY this is happening, is it poor quality source material? an inherent design flaw (flange too thin?)? something about the way they are machined? treated afterwards?

It’s not a huge number of failures given the total number in circulation but it does seem to be higher than it should be, and more prevalent than other brands and their older Bulbs and XC hubs, so what is the cause?

druidh
    Free Member

granny_ring

Yes contact Hope, I’m sure they will help you out.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

My default hub is ALWAYS Hope.

Never had a problem with them in 15 years of biking.

Sometimes things just break..

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve seen that type of corrosion on alloy motorcycle parts – my theory is that its reacting with moisture & something in cleaning detergents.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Seen a couple crack open in half like above and a couple crack the flanges as well. All wheels built by decent builders, such as Merlin or CR. I am having issues with my singlespeed hub and its inability to stop water getting into the pawls and seizing bearings. Have recently ordered new pawls and springs and a seal .Springs are now half the size of the old ones, which is now the normal allegedly. The click in plastic ‘seal’ is never going to fit into the hub, ever. Spoke to Hope, who sent me another couple of seals, which are dimensionally the same as the one I got from CR. They said they are the same across the range. The new seals are 1.5mm diameter larger, which makes 3mm across the hub and will not fit at all. Even if I just try and fit it without the freehub . Got to phone them again and see what is the next cure. I have never had to change so many bearings in a rear hub as I have done on this pro 2 hub. I service and clean out probably every fortnight, which is crazy. All my others hubs including Hope XC’s need occaisional servicing and off they go again. This hub has been a pain. I am not alone in this as mates all have the same issues of seizing and muck getting into theirs. Never real been a step up from the XC range except for weight.

nickc

Got a halo ready for when my XC rear finally dies. Like PP wouldn’t buy another Hope hub

orangeboy
    Free Member

Seen a fair few older hubs crack like that but yet to see a pro 2 one break
    Think a lot of my riding buddy’s are tarts so change wheels often

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Hope (less) PRO II Hubs’ is closed to new replies.