Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hope hub "pinging"
  • waller
    Free Member

Just fitted a new chain on the bike and while I had the bike upside down I noticed when the wheel is spun there is a random high pitched pinging noise in amongst all the normal thunderous clicking.

Is my hub dead? Or is it normal?…..

Cheers for any advice 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

Gear cable toucing the spokes?

waller
    Free Member

Unfortunately not. It did get wrapped around the rear derailluer at one point as I’ve done all my cables too. It pings with the chain and everything off and is unfortunately coming from the hub 🙁

suffolk
    Free Member

Is it the freehub or the wheel bearings that are pinging?

By which I mean is the hub pinging whilst wheel spins with chain off cassette?

waller
    Free Member

It’s seems to be the free hub as when I spin it without the clicking its silent. Is that terminal 🙁

coatesy
    Free Member

Broken spoke? Take the freehub off and check inside for damaged pawls & springs too, they should be stripped, cleaned and regreased regularly anyway, so a good opportunity for routine maintainence.

waller
    Free Member

Cheers for the help by the way.

waller
    Free Member

Ah right. I’ve never had it off before might be a good idea in that case. Cheers coatesy!

suffolk
    Free Member

Sounds like a spring inside may have broken to me. That or it just needs a good greasing.

waller
    Free Member

Cool. Doing the South Downs way next weekend, best get it sorted before then 🙂 thanks for the advice and help appreciate it!

coatesy
    Free Member

Hope’s tech site has good videos for servicing, but expect older hubs to take a bit more effort to remove end caps and freehubs than the new models they’re working on.New pawl springs are always a good idea,they don’t last forever, and at only £3 a set, preferable to a long walk home without drive.

waller
    Free Member

Cheers for that. Probably due a rebuild after 6 years use….. Whoops!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

just get a pawl and spring kit and a freehub seal and fit them if youve had 6 years out of it. Cheap enough and easy enough too.

mrelectric

I put doing mine off for years and was recently pleased how easy and cheap it was to service. The challenge is finding the lube to quiet that swarm of bees….

ononeorange

Did my untouched-for-6-years pro 2 recently and found one pawl only was left alive. So glad I did it. A very enjoyable way to spend an afternoon (once I got it apart!). Beware the Haynes manual effect in the videos though – brand new sparkly clean hubs…….!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hope hub "pinging"’ is closed to new replies.