Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope hub maintenance guru's
  • tails
    Free Member

Hi, I'm hoping to replace the axle on my pro 2 rear hub from q/r to 10mm bolt up. In the hope video it says I need a seal tool, hub bearing tool, hub support tool.

Does anyone know if I can use sockets instead and if so what size?

carbon337
    Free Member
    tails
    Free Member

thanks for the heads up I'm hoping to avoid buying a tool kit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can get the bearings in and out with sockets or the like but you run the risk of damaging the seals You must only drift them in on the outer race sockets are chamfered and thus don't always sit well on the bearings

always heart the hub and freeze the new bearings it makes a huge difference

Lionheart
    Free Member

We do this from time to time and to 12mm and back!! No seal tools, hub tools or bearing tools in the house.. But we do watch the vids collect the info from the net inc Hope, have a file of notes, ours and from here etc, have a large collection of sockets, sketch how they come apart, (break them down on a flip chart sheet and draw it there and then). I reckon Hopes are great for good at home mechanics, collect the info, take your time and go for it.

tails
    Free Member

Maybe I'll just buy the kit for £20 and save much swearing.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I am just about to post an article on 9mm and 10mm conversion but have one about rear hub service here:

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/hope-pro-ii-rear-hub-service.htm

You just replace the axle and end caps from QR to 10mm (Rr). You dont need the kit but its def much easier and neater and less risk of damaging the bearings 🙂

tails
    Free Member

wow that's great foxyrider thanks very much.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope hub maintenance guru's’ is closed to new replies.