Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hope Hub – How to tell…
  • Milkie
    Free Member

How do you know if your bearings need replacing?

I’m in the process of replacing the cassette, its off the freehub.

I tried turning the bit where the QR skewer goes (not the actual skewer) and I can barely turn it by hand. The freehub also seems to be not very free, although it still clicks very loudly when turned.

hillsplease

It all sounds goosed. If it is reluctant to spin or you can’t do it readily get them changed – either LBS OR buy the drifts/bearings and DIY. If you go to the tech bit of http://www.hopetech.com there’s a good video and drawings showing you how.

Pieface

Wheel – wobbles side to side
    Freewheel – doesn’t freewheel

bigyinn
    Free Member

Stiff bearings = replacement time. Pretty easy to do the freehub (remember the circlip on XCs!), do the main hub body at the same time.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

A great way to check wheel bearings is to use the resonance qualities of the frame. Making sure that there’s no binding from brakes, and with the chain removed for the rear, just give the wheel a good spin and place your ear against the top tube (or down tube if you’ve flipped the bike over).

Milkie
    Free Member

Cheers foxyrider, that guide is perfect. Bearings removed and everything cleaned, now where did I put the bearings! The old bearings feel rather rough and it was extremely dirty and one was damn hard to get out!

Three Fish, I’ll try that on the front… Next week!

jamesb
    Free Member

oh bearings bearings…(: , took my Pro 2 to LBS due to bit of play, thought it might be a set or 2 of bearings, ended up being all 5 sets + soem broken pawl springs, whole lot was arusty stiff mess—all comes from riding through deep puddles / stream crossings in mid Wales I reckon as there`s no way to dry them out

foxyrider
    Free Member

Great Milkie – glad it helped 🙂

Milkie
    Free Member

Finally had some time spare to fit the bearings… All fitted, new chain, cassette & crankset..

I now have a slight problem… When in the middle of the cassette, two gears feel very rough, all the others feel fine (feels like a dirty chain/BB/worn chainring)… Any thoughts on what’s causing this!?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

two gears feel very rough

Which two? Probably just indexing, although you should, if appropriate, make sure that the individual sprockets aren’t fitted back to front.

Milkie
    Free Member

I think its 4th & 5th gears down, the ones on the main spider arm. I’ll give indexing a go, but I thought they were bang on.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hope Hub – How to tell…’ is closed to new replies.