Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hope Hose replacement help
  • hayes
    Free Member

Anyone replaced a hope hose?
    I’ve had a search around and can’t find the info I need annoyingly!

I need longer hoses in my Tech X2’s, stupidly didn’t check hose lengths on purchase, Other than hose length they’re perfect and came with lots of spare new pads!

I don’t need a full replacement kit as all the connectors look as new, just the braided hose needs replacing at a longer length.

This obviously means all the oil will come out of the system and hoses

Basically what I need to know is, If I follow the standard bleed procedure for shortening a hose/bleeding brake, will the hose fill up fine?
    Will the caliper and lever stay filled with oil if I keep them level (as with hose shortening)? Thus just needing the hose filling up?

I’ve been quoted 65£ per brake because they want to replace everything including connectors, hopefully I can replace hose and bleed myself for the cost of parts?

Any info appreciated
    Jon

ThePinkster

You’ll probably need new olives as well, although it’s sometimes possible to re-use them if you can get hem off the old hose.

hayes
    Free Member

Thanks, I can get some olives too, not a problem

Just needed to know re filling the new empty hose and if the standard bleed will fill it

riddoch

The hope bleed technique is to pump fluid from the lever so should clear the air out fine I would have thought. you might need a decent amount of oil though, you can buy dot 5.1 oil from halfords car section for a lot less than bike branded stuff.
    Having just shortened a braided hose, fitting the olive was a bit of a fiddle.I had to recut it a couple of times as the braid kept up splitting.

Sui
    Free Member

If you can I would syringe pump from the bleed nipple, much better at forcing air up through the system. Just need a syringe and a small bit of plastic tube. Then after, tap the caliper to release any trapped air and pump the brakes. It will be messy so have a cup underneath the reservoir.

hayes
    Free Member

I plan on pumping up from the bleed nipple at the calliper to fill the system back up and try to get no air as I think calliper down with an empty hose will spell trouble

Then follow the lever down method as per hope instructions to double check for air bubbles

Thanks for the info

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hope Hose replacement help’ is closed to new replies.