Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hope hoops worth paying extra for custom build?
  • Lakes_Puma

Buying factory built could save me £60+ on a wheel set compared to custom built ones, are custom ones worth the extra expense?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Depends who is building them. The factory built ones in my experience are shit. I had to rebuild mine they were do bad.

Gotama
    Free Member

For me yes. The wheels I’ve had built by just riding along have held their tension perfectly through a battering whereas my hoops with flows did not. That could have been a one off and in fairness they only needed tightening up so not the end of the world. I’m also relatively heavy at 90kgs so may exacerbate things slightly.

nuke

Had 3 factory front & rear sets and never had an issue with any of them

Get the factory set and factor in a trip to the LBS if you’re unlucky and they need a true/tension down the line

Gotama
    Free Member

Also, when I got my hoops they didn’t come taped for tubeless so if you go that route and don’t want to use tubes you’ll need to order some stans tape as well.

Northwind

Even if they’re terribly built, that’s not going to cost £60 to resolve so it’s not much of a gamble.

Lakes_Puma

Sounds like as I’m not after any fancy custom colours etc then I’m just as well to buy factory ones and use some of the money I’d save to have them re-tensioned by a LBS

Cheers for feedback everyone

Duffer
    Free Member

I had mine custom made by CTBM because i was after something a little more specific; red hubs, singlespeed rear and built onto Velocity rims. If you’re after black ones with Stans rims, then you may as well get them off the shelf.

smatkins1
    Free Member

My factory built hope hoops are three years old now and they are as straight as the day they came out the box. I’ve certainly not given them an easy life.

SirHC

Have a set of Pro II’s on Flow’s, built by hope four years ago, running straight and true and spoke key has never been near them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hope hoops worth paying extra for custom build?’ is closed to new replies.