Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • hope hoops with flow rims….overkill?
  • andcarson
    Free Member

Hi all
    I’m after some factory built hope hoops (29er) and the choice is between crest or flow rims. I’m a clumsy idiot and am scared I will kill the crests. Are the flows overkill (trail centre, xc) as they don’t represent much of a weight saving? I’m not very heavy but have a habit of battering rear wheels especially.
    Thoughts welcome
    Cheers

honourablegeorge

Why not get the Arch EX, which are in between?

andcarson
    Free Member

Well I would look at the arch rims, but they are not included in the offer I’m looking at at the moment

qwerty
    Free Member

I brought an ArchEX for the front & regret not buying a Flow. The Flow will weigh a little extra but I think that the current fashion of wide & light(ish) rims is one that is progress, not just change for change sake.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m running a 29″ Crest on a rigid bike, xc stuff around Epping Forest and Stanmer Park. So far so good- no need for truing yet etc.

vondally
    Free Member

Nw England rider 200lbs weight, skill level numpty riding natural trails rocky, trail centre and roads to join up sections and running 29er flows happy with flows, used on my 26er 7 inch travel and were just as good
    recommended

Dyffers
    Free Member

the offer I’m looking at at the moment

Where’s that then?

Cheezpleez

I’ve found Crests a bit fragile and I’m not a proper porker. Flows are wide and strong but noticeably heavier.

andcarson
    Free Member

Thanks all. given the lack of weight saving if I go with the flows, are there any other comparable deals for an all round 29er wheelset? I’m looking at the hopes built up by merlin so just over £300

robarnold
    Free Member

I’m 14st in my birthday suit and pretty rough on wheels. Had Crests on my Rumblefish but they were bending at the merest sniff of an impact so were quickly sold on. Arch Ex next which were tougher and stayed straight better but I could still feel them flex and had to true them up three or four times over 12 months.

Stumbled across a deal with Wicked Cycles on eBay where Pro2 Evo hubs on Flow Ex 29er were £279 for the set. Sold my Arch set on here and bought the Flows. No regrets, very stiff and have stayed true over the past 10 weeks despite some tough riding. The first ride out I had to drop my tyres down to 20psi from my normal 25/28 because they felt rock hard down to how stiff the rims were. Ever so slightly heavier but doesn’t matter to me, it’s stiffness and strength that I value over weight.

Hope that helps

andcarson
    Free Member

Thanks robarnold. I must say I’m drawn towards the flows for longevity

bigh
    Free Member

Love mine on my Solaris. I’ve ridden them fairly hard so far with zero issues.

T666DOM

Get the flows, I’ve got them on my Clockwork you can’t go wrong with them, rock solid. I don’t worry about a few grams extra for a ‘more burly than XC’ rim when I could do with losing at least 10 kilos!!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘hope hoops with flow rims….overkill?’ is closed to new replies.