Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hope hoops with crest rims? Strenght
  • jonnyrockymountain

I currently ride hope hubs with mavic 719 rims.
    But i’am debating going tubeless so looking at crest rims are they as strong as 719’s or should I go up to arch rims?

rickon
    Free Member

Crests are a pretty strong rim, depends how heavy you are and how you ride.

Arch’s are a good rim, but Hope don’t do them as a Hoop. They do Flows – which are a freeride rim….

Crest = Aggressive XC at most really, although i’m sure plently of people do more.

jonnyrockymountain

I’am 12 stone when fully loaded on bike ie camlebak, clothing , shoes etc

M6TTF
    Free Member

Crests should be fine – really impressed with mine. As long as you’re not huckin big drops all the time, otherwise go for flows

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a set (on Thursday) courtesy of York Bike Outlet.

There seem to be a fair amount of people who are shifting used sets on via the classifieds for around the £250 – £270 mark.

The brand new price of £270 including delivery was a bit too good to resist (oh and the hubs are pro II evos 😀 )

Can’t wait for them to arrive

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I got some crests on pro2’s around January this year. Today, I trued the rear for the fourth time, despite running a 2.4 tyre on it to give it some protection. Lovely light rims, but I fear a little too light for me/my riding style.

14st here, on an SS hardtail.

I have a set of flows that are fine for heavy trail work on my ancient HL 5spot, but I split one coming down the Snowdon ranger path – Although this is on the tech side of trail riding, its not like I’m a DH nutter. I can’t even jump.

Make of that what you will.

Clink

its not like I’m a DH nutter

Just a nutter! 😆

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Crests are very light rims. if you’re asking how strong they are, and you’re currently using 719s, not 717s, you’re giving yourself clues!

It sounds like you want something sturdier – check out the weight of flows vs 719s, you may be surprised, flow is wider (22.6mm vs 19mm) but only 10g heavier (470g vs. 460g) so, unless you’re xc endurance racing, I’d recommend the flow

Rob
    bigrobracing.co.uk

njee20
    Free Member

They’re not that light, I run Crests on Hopes and some Podiums (they are very light!). IME unless you’re a clumsy rider you’ll be fine, I’d personally say they’re stronger than 719s, far less prone to denting due to the short sidewalls.

They’re an all round XC rim, they’d be my choice until I started doing regular 4ft+ drops.

lucien

+1 with Njee20

Crest rims a bit like soft cheese on the side walls, ok for XC racing and general XC stuff or depending where you ride, everyday stuff. If it’s rocky, or mega rooty, or you are leaving the ground then Crests no good IMHO. I speak from bitter, bitter experience as I’ve replaced my Crest rims a couple of times now, and am really torn because I like the way they ride but Mavic’s have much stronger sidewalls.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Just a nutter!

😉

I originally went with flows to replace my aging 519’s and I think they’re pretty much analogous with a 519/719. Don’t be fooled by the mavic quoted weights though – they don’t include the spoke eyelets – they come out about 500g when those are included.

A crest IMO is fairly comparable to a 717 in terms of where it sits in the range. Light and finesse riders will get on better with them than say, brutish giffers like wot njee says I am. 😈

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Ditto the scienceofficer. I’ve been nervous about them the whole time but used Crests on a Stumpjumper FSR without issue (80 – 83kg, mixture of peaks / cannock etc) for 3 months without a hitch. Running tubeless with X-king Racesports’s.

Put them on the SJ hard tail though and rode a regular trail from Whinstone Lee Tor down to the cut throat and tacoed the rear. Wasn’t doing anything different as far as I could tell. Ground whack straightened it enough to gingerly ride the rest of the way.

I’d had 819’s prior and never had an issue on either bike. Replaced the rim and still use them, as I do like the way they ride, but the 819’s now stay on the hard tail.

seanoc
    Free Member

Ran Stans Arch on a Prophet since 2008 without a single issue….okay there was one incident where i snapped a spoke but that was easily repaired
    Ran Stans ZTR 355’s on a rigid SS for best part of 2 years without a single issue.

Used to regularly get in the top 10 in local DH races; the rims are plenty strong enough. Used to run Mavic 721’s on the DH bike though…if i was still racing I’d throw on some Flow’s. I reckon if you’re smashing Arch’s on regular trails then you can’t ride for sh@.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hope hoops with crest rims? Strenght’ is closed to new replies.