Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Hope hoops- are they all EVO hubs?
  • alric
    Free Member

Hope hoops- are they all Pro2 EVO hubs?
    or are some the older Pro2?
    If so, how do you tell the difference?
    Are the markings the same?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Evo says evo, depends what rims as for age, also the 142 conversion makes it the same as the evo.

alric
    Free Member

so if it doesnt say EVO, its not EVO?

alric
    Free Member

I thought I saw some hubs claiming to be EVO, but only marked as hope hoops, so I want to know

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The hub shells are the same.
    The internals differed I seem to recall it’s about taking a 12mm axle in the rear.
    If it says evo it was born evo
    If can be exactly the same if it’s had the bearings and axle swapped/fitted.

russyh
    Free Member

Were there not differences in bearings as in the move to stainless steal? I believe as above you can convert a Pro2 to an evo, could be wrong though

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Full tech drawings etc on the hope site I think.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

The first versions of the hoop wheels used pro2 hubs, when the evo came out they changed to use that instead.

The pro2 rear has the same body but with a different axle, freehub and bearings. You can convert a pro 2 to an evo by changing all the parts. If it doesn’t say evo on it look at the shape of the end caps as this will tell you what hub it is. The original pro 2 and evo can’t do 11 speed, only the evo 40t or pro 4 can do this.

The front pro2 and evo are the same.

Stevet1
    Free Member

The original pro 2 and evo can’t do 11 speed, only the evo 40t or pro 4 can do this.

wut? Do you mean SRAM or shimano 11 speed?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Running sram 11 on an original pro ii with 142 conversion. The pro ii evo will also take an xd freehub.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

hope moved the drive side flange inboard a bit on the pro 4 and pro 2 evo 40t for 11 speed as you have to fit a spacer to run 10speed. Maybe this is just for shimnao 11 speed if mikes running sram fine

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Er what? Pro 2 evo is dame shell as the pro 2. Your not thinking road are you? No spacers needed for mtb cassette.

vmgscot

Running 11-speed Shimano M8000 cassette on original Pro2/DT5.1 hoops no problem here

teethgrinder

Pro2 rear works 11 speed M8000 as QR and 142x12mm on mine. Steel axle replacement from Hope as the 142 axle is poor in alloy. Both the 142 end caps and QR end caps work on the axle.

alric
    Free Member

he first versions of the hoop wheels used pro2 hubs, when the evo came out they changed to use that instead.

The pro2 rear has the same body but with a different axle, freehub and bearings. You can convert a pro 2 to an evo by changing all the parts. If it doesn’t say evo on it look at the shape of the end caps as this will tell you what hub it is. The original pro 2 and evo can’t do 11 speed, only the evo 40t or pro 4 can do this.

just called hope and they said all hoops had evo hubs

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What do you actually mean by hoops? They called their original factory built wheels hoops ( I have some nice ex display ones) do you mean on their rims?

alric
    Free Member

I mean their hubs with hope hoops logo on them

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Right probably some confusion in there as they were selling wheel builds without that on the hubs for a while (and calling them hoops)

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Er what? Pro 2 evo is dame shell as the pro 2. Your not thinking road are you? No spacers needed for mtb cassette.

Yes that’s what I said the pro2 and pro2 Evo have the same shell, it’s the pro 2 Evo 40T has a different hub shell.

I have two pairs of pro2 hubs with the hoop logo on them so can vouch for the m being sold

My pro 4 rear hub needs a spacer to run a 10 speed cassette. Without it the cassette is loose

dvatcmark
    Free Member

This might help

http://www.hopetech.com/11-speed-compatibility/

Seems the 11 speed thing I mentioned is only if you want to run a road cassette. I guess hope did that for cross bikes.

alric
    Free Member

I have two pairs of pro2 hubs with the hoop logo on them so can vouch for the m being sold

so theres no way I can be sure without seeing the end caps?

teethgrinder

My front wheel is a Flow on Pro2, but hub is etched ‘Hope Hoops’. Not sure there is any actual difference between Pro2 and Pro2 Evo fronts, anyway.

No ‘Hope Hoops’ etching on rear.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

just called hope and they said all hoops had evo hubs

well I’ve got a set of wheels that says differently. ‘Hope Hoops’ was their name for factory builds and those started with Pro2 hubs.

And as above the 11 speed issue is for road cassettes and is relevant to those of us building CX/road disc wheels.

alric
    Free Member

crashtest monkey, you’re right, Hope was wrong

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Hope hoops- are they all EVO hubs?’ is closed to new replies.